Help needed with net

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Help needed with net

Post by MGs »

If you have read any of my diary entries, you will know that I have a liking, verging on obsession with roach. I have made a couple of landing nets, one triangular carp style and one large hoop. Now that I have been using these for a couple of years, there are some limitations. They are both fine for larger fish. However the available mesh (Snowbee) are both quite deep.

I am considering making a smaller hoop with a shallower, pan type net. Does anyone know where I can source a suitable mesh? The design and size of the hoop is going to be dependent upon what is available, so I can't start the build yet. I'm thinking about something around 18" in diameter and perhaps 12" deep.

Thanks
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Help needed with net

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi MGs. When I've been after nets like that I've just bought modern nets of the right size and removed the netting from them. Places like DragonCarp do pan nets for about £4
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have had a look, most seem to be a standard 50 x 40cm, which is a bit bigger than I'm looking for. I already have a similar sized modern mess, which I'm using as a weigh bag. I suppose I could unpick all of the stitching and re-sew it. I'm hoping to source something rather than create a lot of work for myself.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Have you looked at nets designed for trout ie. those from game tackle brands?
Last edited by Beresford on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I think I may have found something
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231637691471? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Seems to be about the right dimensions. I'll end up with a fair bit of scrap metal, which seems a bit daft. If I can't find this size of mesh elsewhere, I'll probably have to go for it.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi MGs, just dug this one out of the shed. Approx 14" wide, 17 long and 10" deep. Yours if you want it.

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

PM sent

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

OK, work has started. The net arrived, thanks Steve.

I have cut the template/former to the proportions of the net (fairly small) about 18"x14". This is made from some leftover marine ply.

Nice untidy work bench as usual. As this is going to be a net for the smaller species, roach, rudd and Grayling I'm looking to keep it in proportion.
The hoop will be made of the hardwood strips shown 25mm x 5mm. My intention is to steam both and complete the bend, then to laminate them when cooled. I have a piece of drainpipe and industrial steam cleaner lined up.

However, I have hit a snag, which someone with better maths than I possess may be able to solve. The total outline length of the former is 128cm. This is fine for the first piece. The problem comes with the second piece, as it will be wrapped around the first. Therefore, it will be 5mm further out, all the way round. Anyone able to say how long the outer piece should be?

One thought would be to start off the second piece at the handle end and leave an overlap on the other side to be trimmed later.

Anyone able to say whether it is better to start the bend in the centre of the piece or at one end?

Thanks

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Partial success on the net front. My homemade steamer seemed to work ok and there was more than enough steam for the 20 minute run.

However, the first piece didn't get far beyond 8 inches round the bend, before there was a horrible splitting sound.

The second piece, which was in the steamer alongside, seemed to go fine

The pressure exerted on both, was as far as I can tell, equal. Perhaps there was a minor fault in the first piece, exacerbated by the bending.

I'm not sure what to do now. As this is intended for small fish only, the single hoop may be sufficient, albeit only 5mm thick. The other option being to buy another piece. I'll wait until it is stable and see how strong it feels.

Anyone have an idea of how long it needs to stay in the clamps, before it is dry enough to move?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Work is continuing. When the initial hoop was removed from the form, it was showing signs of surface cracking. Rather than risk failure in action, I decided to revert to the original plan of laminating a second section around the first.

As the second piece I intended for this had a catastrophic failure, I decided to use the two off cut pieces and use a tapered overlap joint.
The pieces were roughly shaped and soaked overnight in the water butt. 20 minutes in the steamer and time to bend. Again a slight split. A decision on the hoof being to quickly flip the pieces so that the split was on the inside. It seems to have worked.

This joint will need a bit of work before the final lamination and the ends will be whipped for security when the hoop is complete.

I've now turned my thoughts to the business part, securing the ends and thread.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”