My New Float Box

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Re: My New Float Box

Post by MGs »

Very smart
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There is no getting away from it, that is one clever machine and Trevor that is a nice float storage box that would take me half a day to make.

I look at many of the new wooden fly boxes etc that are available today and they are all machine made in one way or another. Machine made simply because of production cost. I don't think people would be willing to pay a cabinet makers wages to produce a really nice hand made box.

There will be always be people who can pick up a piece of timber or stone and see something in it that others cant. The same way some people can write a really good song or write a story about an ordinary event in their daily life and make it sound extraordinary.

I don't think the machines will ever have this gift.
Wal.

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

I must say I love the float box. I would love a go on a machine like that. We are connecting with each other via a computer don't forget!!!!
Dave@ Hastings

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I suspect that the first person to use a metal axe was called a threat to our way of life by the rest of the stone age community :Sarcasm: Modern man will use the tool of his age and, if he uses them creatively and artistically then its alright by me.

My float boxes are all plastic by the way :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A laser cutter???? I had no idea one could own such a thing! I thought they were for big factories alone....I like the float box!

You can use a laser cutter to cut the pair of interlocking flutes that make JAA's take on the fluted avon.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent idea Nobby, I have some sheet balsa for just the job. The laser cutters not mine, I just have to learn how to use it for work.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Nice one, Trevor. Those cutters are very clever. They had just arrived in our school when I was there. I made all sorts with them. we had two. One for wood and one for plastics I think.
Dave Burr wrote:I suspect that the first person to use a metal axe was called a threat to our way of life by the rest of the stone age community :Sarcasm: Modern man will use the tool of his age and, if he uses them creatively and artistically then its alright by me.

My float boxes are all plastic by the way :Hat:
My float box used to contain a tube of PVA mesh, because sometimes I'm a rebel like you. :Wink:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Jack. I've just finished cutting another one out because my son wants one, but his has a grayling on. Now tempted to make lots of small boxes for bits and pieces. But first I'm designing a bespoke tackle box to replace my old one.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Just wait until they let the kids loose on it...

When I did a couple of weeks at the high school down the road I helped out in a few technology lessons. I had to stop one young girl holding a chisel on the metal bit while she chiseled away at a block of wood with a hammer! That was a very near miss. :Hide:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Very nice Trevor

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”