Bait Droppers

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Old Man River
Eel

Bait Droppers

Post by Old Man River »

Hi people...I was just Feng Shuing my workshop/tackle room, and came across these.
Two bait droppers, they must be over 20 years old, and were both made from bits of "junk" found kicking around..
They have had lots of use over the years, but as with things, have been stored away, when I opened the square one, I found an old plastic monkey climber inside... I never missed it as I usually use a bit of twig or anythng similar found on the bank.

You can probably tell, one is made from a Sardine tin, the other is made from a Cherry Blossom boot polish tin.

They gave me a few moments of pleasant memories.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Bait Droppers

Post by Match Aerial »

Indispensable items

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Very nice. Always love the selfmade tackle

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

You can't get any more traditional than using an everyday item to make something useful instead of buying it.Excellent.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Great stuff

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I made one once from a small sieve and it would deposit half a pint of bait at a time, used it with a pike rod over the weir sill!

It was very effective.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Many years ago I had a vey small dropper, it really was tiny about the size of a 50 pence piece.
I never could find another one like it, Does any one know of a suitable tin I could use to make one ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Here's mine along very similar lines however, I have added one or two deluxe features...

Please note the plastic lids and, on the large one, a wader patch hinge for accelerated and easier opening. The leads are big too as the Wye is a powerful river... I've even shaped the leads to prevent unnecessary spinning. Quite why they are cammo'd is beyond me :Chuckle:

1/4 pint and 1/2 pint capacity although the big one takes a mighty rod to get it beyond the margins.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Match Aerial wrote:Many years ago I had a vey small dropper, it really was tiny about the size of a 50 pence piece.
I never could find another one like it, Does any one know of a suitable tin I could use to make one ?
Have a look around for small tins of mints, I reckon you'll find something useable ..... and your mouth will feel fresh and minty :Wink:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I have three bait droppers in various sizes and use them all frequently on my forays to the upper Medway, Hants Avon and the Kennet, I've even been known to get ten miles or so down the road and realise I've forgotten the one I need for the day and turn round to fetch it.....totally nuts! But then if you have a plan for the day it's best to follow it through rather than sit there thinking "if only". There is certainly something about the act of droppering, my friend Ivan has a half pint beast of a dropper.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”