Split cane landing net

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Split cane landing net

Post by Richard Jackson »

Hi gents,i am hoping to make a split cane landing net handle but need some help please,do i just buy a split cane rod ,strip the butt section down and add a screw fitting for the net ?
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Split cane landing net

Post by Watermole+ »

Hello Jacko,

Yes, you can do that but split cane net handles always betray their origin of cut-down, split-cane rods!

There is nothing wrong in doing that per se, if it gives the remains of an old rod a new lease of life, so please don't think that I'm trying to put you off, but split cane is a lot heavier than whole cane-especially if it has to be a long one-so perhaps that's something to bear in mind, if it has to be carried any distance..
Whole cane is also as strong as a net handle ever needs to be and can be heat treated & made very attractive to look at with decorative tyings..

Good luck with the project and don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help fitting the net ferrule to the cane.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Watermole+ wrote:Hello Jacko,

Yes, you can do that but split cane net handles always betray their origin of cut-down, split-cane rods!

There is nothing wrong in doing that per se, if it gives the remains of an old rod a new lease of life, so please don't think that I'm trying to put you off, but split cane is a lot heavier than whole cane-especially if it has to be a long one-so perhaps that's something to bear in mind, if it has to be carried any distance..
Whole cane is also as strong as a net handle ever needs to be and can be heat treated & made very attractive to look at with decorative tyings..

Good luck with the project and don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help fitting the net ferrule to the cane.

wm+
Thanks WN ,i never took the weight into account to be honest ,i have made an whole cane 2 piece handle but it is not the greatest and i thought i may make a better job using split cane,i shall have a good think before making one taking length weight etc into account,and thankyou for the offer of contacting you for help fitting the net ferrule,i will take you up on that within the next few weeks :Hat:
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I have a split cane landing net by Dave Austin. 2 piece handle and split cane arms. It's incredibly heavy, almost unusable. Good luck with the project... :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I built a splitcane landing net handle from a sea rod called the nymph of all things.

It's 7' long and easily my favourite despite some extra weight. So perhaps it's a question of picking the right rod? ( more luck than judgement in my case)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3069&hilit=Nymph
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”