What do thread grades mean?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Banksy
Brown Trout

What do thread grades mean?

Post by Banksy »

I am starting a little project to make some banksticks from a random selection of split cane and whole cane rod sections I was given recently,
and am starting with the whole cane butt section.
The old rings have been removed, the old varnish sanded down, and flame-marked cane looks very nice.

I would like to put some maroon whippings it, but am running low on whipping nylon.
Looking on the Hopkins & Holloway site, I see that the threads are graded from A to D. I want a thread which is not too fine, so which grade should I go for?

Also, I have found an old rod rest head which will do the job nicely, as the brass thread is a good tight fit for the cane.

But where might I source a metal spike? I was going to cannibalise my wife's old golf umbrella, but was caught in the act. :Hide:

Any suggestions gratefully received!

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: What do thread grades mean?

Post by The Old Buffer »

The treads are graded relative to thickness A being the finest and D the thickest. For banksticks I would tend towards using C or D.

As regards a spike it may be worth taking a look at Alpine Spikes for walking sticks. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrules-Alpi ... 75Lurojmow

Good luck :Hat:
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I use long joist screws, cut off the flange head and grind to a point, twist the threaded end into the cane with a blob of epoxy glue.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I use old fire pokers you can pick them up for at car boots or ask at your local tip, just cut an old ferrule to make a collar for the end, drill an appropriate size hole and glue in with araldite or similar. Normally put about 4" of poker inside the cane.how :Hat: Image Image
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Thank you for your replies.

The thread is now sorted, and I shall have a poker round for the point. :Thumb:

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Work in progress -

The spike problem was staring me in face - a leg from a long defunct pole rest, which fitted perfectly inside the whole cane.

With part of a brass ferrule from one of the other "wrecks" to reinforce the fixing.

I chose a nice cherry red whipping thread, but as the photo shows, trial whippings treated with my usual varnish turn almost black.
The whipping trial which has retained the better colour has been smeared with Araldite just to try it out, but it's too messy.

So appropriate treatments are on their way from H&H.

I am now in the process of vandalising an old rod rest head from the 70's, to create something more in keeping.
Remember when we were all being persuaded that rest heads has to be about 18" wide?

Thanks for your guidance. Project 2 is in its early stages, using a middle section from a Hardy 15' steel-centred split cane salmon fly rod. I have a cunning plan to retain the screw-lock ferrule to hold the rest head.

Loving it!

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”