A question of varnish compatibility

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Banksy
Brown Trout

A question of varnish compatibility

Post by Banksy »

I am in the process of making a few traditional rod rests, using assorted sections of whole cane and split cane rods I was recently given.

With the whole cane, I rubbed down the cane, then varnished it with Rustins Yacht Varnish, before adding decorative whippings which were treated with water based colour preserver and water based varnish. It looks good.

But my next attempt with split cane was a failure, as the Rustins varnish was applied too cold, and ran. The cane was rubbed down again, and I added the decorative intermediate whippings, then used Roddancer thread colour preserver and rod varnish, both water based.
The whippings are ok, but the quick-drying varnish still has brush strokes visible on the split cane, after three coats.

My question is - can I use an oil-based varnish like Rustins, ON TOP of a water-based varnish, to finish the job?
I do not really want to strip off all the whippings, and sand the section down again!

Thank you.

Living and learning and loving it.

David.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: A question of varnish compatibility

Post by Santiago »

One can coat a water based varnish with an oil based product, but the reverse will lead to problems, i.e., never coat an oil based varnish with a water based varnish. This is because the oil based product will take months to properly cure and a coating of a water based one will prevent this so the underlying varnish will remain soft and may even discolour.

All should be well so long as you allow plenty of time between coats.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: A question of varnish compatibility

Post by Banksy »

Thank you Santiago!

I shall copy and paste your your post into my bible of Things to be Remembered!
:Thumb:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”