Removing smears of Epoxy Glue?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Removing smears of Epoxy Glue?

Post by Banksy »

I am attempting to make a couple of rod rests using split cane sections which would otherwise be scrap.

Fitting a brass tube to one end to house a spike, I have clumsily left smears of glue (Araldite) on the surface of the brass.

Other than using fine emery or wire wool to remove these blemishes (then polishing the brass up again) is there a better way to correct my cack-handedness?

And what is the best way to protect brass to prevent tarnishing? Will yacht varnish do the job?

Thank you.

JAA

Re: Removing smears of Epoxy Glue?

Post by JAA »

Nail varnish remover will remove araldite, but it might be slow going if it's set. If it's set, I'd use a credit card (or hard plastic card of some type) to get the glue off and then polish the brass.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Banksy wrote:
And what is the best way to protect brass to prevent tarnishing? Will yacht varnish do the job?
I wouldn't varnish brass. Just leave it and if you like it shiny polish it.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I quit like it when mine start to tarnish,it give a look of age. Then I just get the solvo out and it all polishs up again.
If you varnish it, it will get scrached and you cant polish it up again.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

White spirit dissolves Araldite, when it is still soft anyway.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen.

The brass will remain unvarnished, and left to age gracefully.

The excess Araldite was removed using my wife's credit card, which I broke in the process.
A double result.
:Cool:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

If araldite is set up you won't get it off easy . Paint Stripper will soften it .

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Set Araldite can be removed by careful application of heat from a soldering iron.
Just touch it to the 'splodge' for a couple of seconds and ping off with your thumb nail.
I recently refurbished some rods that had fuji screw reel fittings epoxed on, managed to cut the fittings off with careful use of stanley knife but left great thick disks of glue on blank. About five seconds of heat from the iron and they just fell away with gentle finger pressure.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Tony.J.Newman wrote:Set Araldite can be removed by careful application of heat from a soldering iron.
Just touch it to the 'splodge' for a couple of seconds and ping off with your thumb nail.
I recently refurbished some rods that had fuji screw reel fittings epoxed on, managed to cut the fittings off with careful use of stanley knife but left great thick disks of glue on blank. About five seconds of heat from the iron and they just fell away with gentle finger pressure.
One thing I really love about this forum is the little gems of advice it is littered with. And that everyone is happy to share their experiences freely.
Thanks to you all for past, present and future guidance :-)

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:13 am Set Araldite can be rem oved by careful application of heat from a soldering iron.
tell me its not the NW glass blanks! forget classic, think museum!!

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”