Exhaust hood for varnishing

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Exhaust hood for varnishing

Post by OldTackle »

Anyone else varnishing in the living room and having conversations with the good lady about it?
Not only that she repeatedly reminds me of the hazardous dangers of these recipes but also about the sniff of the room afterwards while drying. I thought it would be handsome to have a little device to not only transporting the exhalation or haze away but also keep dust away from contaminating the fresh varnish.
And as I do also some Airbrush from time to time I built a little helpful device:

I think in all it did cost me about 20€ including the wood and electrical parts. I will place a filter in front in principal being a metal net with some filter material from kitchen exhaust hoods which was another 5€ but does serve in the kitchen as well.
There are flexible tubes for those kitchen ones too which could be useful to get the whole smell out of the room through the window when temperatures are a little better suited.
There will be a little stage in front with two side walls left and right and a roof on top widening up to act as working area. Might be even nice to coat some floats in there...
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

WoodMagnet
Silver Bream

Re: Exhaust hood for varnishing

Post by WoodMagnet »

It should work great Christopher, well done. :cheers:
A.K.A. Kevin.
Qui audet adipiscatur.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Very well done, Chris!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's clever, like it a lot. :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Were you once a farmer Old Tackle, as only an ex tractor fan could come up with such a device :eyebrow: . Hope SWMBO is happy with it. :Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

That looks fantastic. I'm a bit mad when it comes to spraying stuff. Essentially if you can smell it you're breathing it in so your wife does have a point. Some of these things can be carcinogenic, even in this day and age. I wear and recommend that anybody else spraying wears a proper breathing mask with multiple particle filters. They aren't expensive.

I never spray inside as I don't want my cat breathing it in either.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I just love the smell of napalm (varnish) in the morning.... :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Reedling wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:02 am Were you once a farmer Old Tackle, as only an ex tractor fan could come up with such a device :eyebrow: . Hope SWMBO is happy with it. :Thumb:
Well, I grew up in the countryside if that counts. My playmates were ducks, geese, chicken, a dog, a sheep and my primary playground was the forrest. All this stuff today is mainly to compensate for what I haven't had or wasn't allowed in my childhood.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Beresford wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:44 am That looks fantastic. I'm a bit mad when it comes to spraying stuff. Essentially if you can smell it you're breathing it in so your wife does have a point. Some of these things can be carcinogenic, even in this day and age. I wear and recommend that anybody else spraying wears a proper breathing mask with multiple particle filters. They aren't expensive.

I never spray inside as I don't want my cat breathing it in either.
Good point!
Well, if I am varnishing rod parts I do use a brush but of course there are exhalations. The instructions say to be used in a ventilated room and I do obey that by opening the windows and let it dry over night in a separate room. Don't think many of the members here working on such things are wearing a mask. This exhaust system should be protective enough. Of course, when it comes to spraying 2K varnishes such a mask is a mandatory measure.
When I am using my Airbrush I am using water based colors which are not hazardous. The exhaust is mainly to keep the color dust from going everywhere behind the object. To protect the colors from wear I do coat them using transparent varnish with brush just like a rod or float.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”