Home Made Swim Feeders

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Stour Otter
Grayling

Home Made Swim Feeders

Post by Stour Otter »

I can still remember the thrashing I had from my father as a very young angler when I decided to made my first home-made swim feeders from my mother's blue and pink plastic hair curlers. I went for the blue ones of cause and being a little over zealous with them, she soon realised she had an in balance of colours.
In later life and once the memory was less painful I returned to the home-made swim feeder, using ring binders, then old bird feeders mesh and have just found a "Party Popper" that I must have picked up from the river bank years ago which I thought may have possibilities for liquidized bread, but never put the plan into operation.
Any way here they are, no giggling please.

Plastic Ring Binders
Old Bird Feeder mesh and a Party Popper

Oh, please wipe your eyes.

Stour Otter
Last edited by Stour Otter on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Home Made Swim Feeders

Post by OldTackle »

Nothing to lough about, Sir. Especially the ring binders I find quite ingenious :Hat:
And those bird feeder mesh ones: Aren't many modern ones look just the same?
I am sure the party popper would make a pristine bite indicator.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Party popper monkey climbers?? Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've made my own feeders out wire mesh (like you get on bird feeders), and they looked very similar to yours Mr Otter. I also used them for method feeding by simply crushing them and wrapping the stodge around it.

However, my son sent me an image of a homemade feeder the other day. Apparently it was snagged by someone trotting on the Wye. I say 'feeder', it may actually be an otter trap.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Up cycling after the office party,im laughing,with you.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I wish Otters were that small!

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

I make all my own swim feeders I normally use plastic 1-1/4 waste pipe about 11/2 long as I was in the trade and drill 1/4 holes in the sides wrap some solder around and away you go, it also puts out plenty of feed in the swim

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have made my own feeders for years, the most recent efforts are made from brown plastic plant protector tubes . I had a big bundle left after I planted a country hedge a couple of years ago, they make nice brown flexible open ended feeders, one tube will make about a good half dozen or more, a strip of lead flashing provides the weight, very simple, very effective.A bonus is that being flexible , if they get snagged behind a rock they just seem to "spring" out if given a quick jerk.The loop is made from mono, which is just clipped onto a sliding rig link on the main line.

I have made feeders from all sorts of bits over the years, the lighter coloured ones are for reservoir bream, they dont seem to mind what colour the feeders are, the darker coloured ones are for rivers where I have noticed that brighter colours seem to put the fish off a bit.

Over time I have found that it is quicker and easier to heat up a steel rod and melt the holes in the feeder instead of drilling them.I usually use a thick tent peg.

O M R
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Things have never been the same since digital camera's put paid to 35mm film SLR's. The plastic film tubs were ideal.

I know you can still buy them but it just isn't the same as recycling the ones you bought for film and collecting from friends and family :fingertap:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

A bit more traditional?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”