Rod storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Rod storage

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A well made rack Dendrobaena, that wont fall to bits in a hurry and I love the split bamboo finishing pieces.

A cracking collection of rods too, what's the rod second from left on the back row.

Wal.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Nice looking rack especially with the bamboo theme.
Only problem I can see is my wife would be able to see when a new one appeared. :Chuckle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

That is a superb rod rack. I love the idea to use bamboo poles. Excellent craftmanship. And a very impresive collection. A rack is quite appealing because you admire your collection while sitting in your rod room. I know that many famous american collectors keep their rods in their tubes. I always found it tricky but it seems no problem for the rods as long as they are dry when packed away. Enjox your collection :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Don't stop collecting if it gives you pleasure! I've lost count of the number of rods I have but I could tell you what I have and I haven't forgotten about any.

Typically a rod might cost me £50, occasionally more, occasionally less too. I could "waste" that on a steak meal and bottle of wine down the pub - an experience forgotten in a year (or less if the wine is especially nice). Alternatively I could buy a rod I use a couple of times a year, but gives me great pleasure when I do. And that rod will continue to provide that pleasure for years and potentially for the rest of my life!

Yes I could have one carp rod, one avon rod, one heavy float rod, one light float rod, one spinning rod. But WHY when I could have several of each that I enjoy?

Temperance is wickedness.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Please keep posting – I did write that I expected 'rotten eggs' – just a metaphor – another way of saying my posting was only my opinion and it was there to be disregarded.

Forums are about sharing and the debate can be robust at times but that's what's makes them interesting. I'm paranoid about looking after the few canes rods I have – that's the OCD part of my personality. I even use small bulldog clips on the ends of the rod bags so I don't tie them as I don't wish put the cane sections under any pressure as they hang. They are in a dark cupboard so there is no UV light – again me being over cautious perhaps. Every few years I tend to sell something to buy something better – again my preference but please don't take offence at my comments.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Hi Dendrobaena - I call them red worms I think. What an extraordinary post - so many beautiful rods and other things.

I keep my fishing life infinitely simpler. I lean about a dozen current rods against the wall in the cellar. I have a sort of cut off Drennan rod holdall that takes a couple of rods, a rod rest and landing net handle. I make up the rods and terminal tackle before I set out, then stride off down the road to the swim I fancy.
Yours is a beautiful set up but I cannot offer any advice - its like comparing a stately home to a work house. The only thing I would say to all members is that the main thing is to work out what you really, really enjoy and then do it , because life does not go on forever.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Dendrobaena wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm The rods are kept in my fishing room which is kept at a constant temperature. They are not exposed to direct sun light and i always check and clean my ferrules before and after i use them.

I do not think i will bother to post on here any more.
Have just read this.

In that case, I apologize for causing offence to you and hope that you do continue to post.
The rod rack is very well made and a nice thing to behold, that is beyond question. I merely took your post as one inviting opinion and comment and responded in what I thought was a light-hearted manner.

Once again apologies and please disregard my posted comments.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

My rods are kept in a rod rack made of wood and cartridge cases were I can see them from my chair their are a lot of very nice people on here stay around you will find us I have a head injury and other problems I inadvertently posted a picture of my suzuki car and another member ridiculed me with a low blow because of the head injury I have to re read my posts to make sure they are okay come and chat to us not like other forums where people get torn to bits some of them are like gladiator school but behave like that here you get shown the door and rightly so come join the chat :Hat: mike

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Ah dendraebena good man , a very well made rod rack , I myself hang mine in a cooler room in my house.
I couldn't help but notice your picture of a Harris Hawk on your wall . Are you a falconer as well ?

For 10 years I flew Harris's here in Yorkshire.

I loved it...
Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 pm A well made rack Dendrobaena, that wont fall to bits in a hurry and I love the split bamboo finishing pieces.

A cracking collection of rods too, what's the rod second from left on the back row.

Wal.
Hi Wal

The rod is a hardy's THE "AX" It's 11 foot Hole cane but hole cane/split cane tip, It has a lovely light action similar to my featherlight junior .
I have only just finished restoring it, the rod should be green stained but i just could not get it right. So i left out the stain in the end.

Dendrobeana
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”