Rod storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Keston
Tench

Re: Rod storage

Post by Keston »

I have to say those rods look pretty magnificent in that stand :drool:

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

BendSomeCane wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm Ah dendraebena good man , a very well made rod rack , I myself hang mine in a cooler room in my house.
I couldn't help but notice your picture of a Harris Hawk on your wall . Are you a falconer as well ?

For 10 years I flew Harris's here in Yorkshire.

I loved it...
Bendsomecane
Hi Bendsomecane

Yes i was a falconer for quite a few years , until ill health (broken back) meant that i had to give it up. The harris in the picture was my first little male an incredibly brave an fearless little chap, i then went on to fly Redtail hawks and ferruginous hawk's.

I to love it and miss it terribly.

Here's a couple of pick's
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Beautiful pictures Dendrobaena - thank you for sharing
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dendrobaena wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 pm A well made rack Dendrobaena, that wont fall to bits in a hurry and I love the split bamboo finishing pieces.

A cracking collection of rods too, what's the rod second from left on the back row.

Wal.
Hi Wal

The rod is a hardy's THE "AX" It's 11 foot Hole cane but hole cane/split cane tip, It has a lovely light action similar to my featherlight junior .
I have only just finished restoring it, the rod should be green stained but i just could not get it right. So i left out the stain in the end.

Dendrobeana
Rare rod the AX, I have only ever seen one and that had the handle altered which I think spoiled it. I liked the idea of the reel fitting into the top of the cork grip, it's like an upside down fly rod handle.

Wal.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Watermole+ wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm That's a serious amount of rods you have there Sir..!

They certainly look nice in the rack, but constant exposure to light and dust (if the ferrule stoppers are missing) is not really ideal.
The best way has always been to just hang them by the rod bag loops, somewhere free from damp or humidity and where dry air can freely circulate around them.

You cannot better that.
Just out of interest, why is exposure to light "not really ideal" ?

Alan

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Ryeman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:26 pm
Watermole+ wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 pm That's a serious amount of rods you have there Sir..!

They certainly look nice in the rack, but constant exposure to light and dust (if the ferrule stoppers are missing) is not really ideal.
The best way has always been to just hang them by the rod bag loops, somewhere free from damp or humidity and where dry air can freely circulate around them.

You cannot better that.
Just out of interest, why is exposure to light "not really ideal" ?

Alan
I must admit, I wondered that too...

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I expect that the flak guns are being brought to bear even at this moment, but It has always been my experience that whilst prolonged static exposure to light will have no effect on the rod itself, if left in open conditions, the colour of the tyings will fade over time, noticeably so with reds.
I know that fishing rods spend a good part of their working lives exposed to light, but they do move around quite a bit.
My point was simply that if rods are left static in a room with plenty of sunlight, the tyings-particularly if red-are very liable to fade, which is far from ideal for a valuable collection.

It is entirely up to the individual, how they keep their fishing rods, lines and other tackle, but traditionally, leading manufacturers have found that the best and safest way for rods has always been to hang them in a cool, dry place where air can freely circulate around them and I entirely agree with them.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Dendrobaena wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 pm Yes i was a falconer for quite a few years , until ill health (broken back) meant that i had to give it up. The harris in the picture was my first little male an incredibly brave an fearless little chap, i then went on to fly Redtail hawks and ferruginous hawk's.

I to love it and miss it terribly.

Here's a couple of pick's
Beautiful - maybe a user name change to Auceps is in order :Hat:

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Interesting post, I quite like the rod rack, and the rods! At the moment my rods in the main are hanging in their bags in our Drawing Room which has an open wood fire, which in turn creates an air flow.
The pics of the Falcons are really super, fascinating sport. I have a friend who sometimes brings a Harris hawk onto our shoot towards the end of the season.
Ted

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 pm I expect that the flak guns are being brought to bear even at this moment, but It has always been my experience that whilst prolonged static exposure to light will have no effect on the rod itself, if left in open conditions, the colour of the tyings will fade over time, noticeably so with reds.
I know that fishing rods spend a good part of their working lives exposed to light, but they do move around quite a bit.
My point was simply that if rods are left static in a room with plenty of sunlight, the tyings-particularly if red-are very liable to fade, which is far from ideal for a valuable collection.

It is entirely up to the individual, how they keep their fishing rods, lines and other tackle, but traditionally, leading manufacturers have found that the best and safest way for rods has always been to hang them in a cool, dry place where air can freely circulate around them and I entirely agree with them.
Hi WM
I totally understand what you are saying about the tyings fading over time especially with the old varnish, which also used to turn yellow which in turned the tyings a different colour blues to green ect.
Some thing that i did not put in my original post was that apart from 2 of the rods all the others have been either made by me or restored by me, using varnishes which claim to protect against uv.
Whether they do or not i suppose only time will tell.
No flak guns this time :Scared:

Dendrobeana
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”