Trying out something new.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Paul D

Re: Trying out something new.

Post by Paul D »

lovely work sir, I enjoy a little carving myself when the mood takes me, you can make your own crook knife or try "Ronnie Sunshine" or Ray Mears woodlore shop.
I won't show my tools as such things are frowned upon here but here's a couple of my carvings:
ImageImageImage

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I love the skills showcased by the members of this forum .
Thank you for sharing.
Nige.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Trilob wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm
Scott wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm I like the spoon, good whittling sir. You must try a kuksa or even a pike lure. I'm fond of whittling too but it's been a while since I created anything. You can see some of my efforts here;

viewtopic.php?f=268&t=17105

viewtopic.php?f=457&t=8519&p=119520&hil ... ed#p119520

Thanks for showing us... :Hat:
Oh yeah, a kuksa is definitly on the to-try-list. just need to find a proper piece of suited wood for that some day.
you carvings are stunning! :Hat:
Thanks for the complement Trilob. Birch burl is great for kuksas, see your local tree surgeon. Also try to keep it wet whilst working on it, I keep mine in a plastic bag. If it dries too quickly it'll crack.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Paul D wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm lovely work sir, I enjoy a little carving myself when the mood takes me, you can make your own crook knife or try "Ronnie Sunshine" or Ray Mears woodlore shop.
I won't show my tools as such things are frowned upon here but here's a couple of my carvings:
ImageImageImage
Top whittling Paul! Love that mini kuksa! :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Inspirational post - :Thumb:

From my point of view I need to mend a number of bags and replace a couple - rather than look for a seamstress I will endeavour to persevere with my complete lack of know how and give it a whirl.

Well done Sir.

PP
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Thank you all chaps!
Paul D wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm I won't show my tools as such things are frowned upon here but here's a couple of my carvings:
I wouldn't mind you showing the tools. (or is there a joke i'm missing)
and what kind of wood is that last spoon made of? looks amazing :)
Pallenpool wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am rather than look for a seamstress I will endeavour to persevere with my complete lack of know how and give it a whirl.
that was my thought. and it wasn't that bad/hard :)

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Trilob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm Thank you all chaps!
Paul D wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm I won't show my tools as such things are frowned upon here but here's a couple of my carvings:
Pallenpool wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 am rather than look for a seamstress I will endeavour to persevere with my complete lack of know how and give it a whirl.
We shall see - but the notion that a novice can achieve eg your results I can only but give it a go.
PP
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Trilob wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm Thank you all chaps!
Mark isn't keen on pictures of knives etc being uploaded, I consider them purely tools,the spoon shown in the last picture is Birch burr that I gathered my self ( Scott posted a link showing his work including the gathering of burrs)
after carving I gave it multiple coats of linseed oil, really brings out the grain etc :Hat:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”