Small feeders <5g

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Troydog
Tench

Small feeders <5g

Post by Troydog »

With six weeks to go I’m targeting some roach that have seen it all before. In a couple of swims I want to get some breadcrumb through 12 feet of water onto the edge of a shelf. I don’t need the weight of some 10g cage feeders I have, to hold position.
I’m playing around with plastic which I can roll, staple and affix weight, but a simpler solution would be lightweight metal gauze. But where could you get it please?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Small feeders <5g

Post by Snape »

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

That is absolutely perfect Snape - very many thanks indeed!!
John Harding

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Buy direct from Mesh Co. But I'd cut up old plastic bottles and glue. Cheaper and light.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You should be able to buy some mesh at B&Q Tim, I'm pretty sure that's where I bought some. Form a tube and hold in place with either a strip of lead from old broken feeders (never throw anything away), or with a strip of lead from the church roof. If you need some lead sheet I have a few bits and pieces around - drop me an email.

I would imagine that 5g dropping through 12' of Wye is likely to drift away in the current, I'd get it to drop quickly and you can add a stone or two to your mix to get it down fast the fall out with the feed - in theory.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Old micro-fiche - when it became redundant! Just add 2nd hand lead roof flashing - but staple it to feeder.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Try a motor factors for the fine mesh . Or Poundland sell flexible mesh chip frying sheets that you could easily cut up.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gentlemen for your ideas. I’ve not seen or felt a drop of rain since leaving Birmingham airport two Sundays ago. Great to see the weather forecast for Wales today and for the rest of the week. I will have to make an assortment feeders of different weights to get the presentation I need. Watched a Trevor WEst video the other day where he wraps fine wire round the shank of a hook to avoid using a feeder at all. Ok for lumps of meat, he was barbel fishing, but I’m not sure it would work with flake and smaller hooks.....
John Harding

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Hair curlers like Nora Batty always has. We used to make swimfeeders out of them back in the 60's.

But, as others have said; the weight needed to hold in that depth makes it harder. I would use an old-fashioned metal bait dropper on a 2nd rod.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

There are some swims of 12 feet on the Wye that are turbulent where the currents even reverses direction at times. However there are others were there is very little current on the river bed even in spate conditions. These are the ones where I want the feeder, packed with bread crumb to explore up on the shelf, even under the bank, with as little disturbance on the strike as possible. We will see.....
John Harding

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”