sight bobs...

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: sight bobs...

Post by Gary Bills »

Rich wrote:Hi
You are not on your own. i started using them with leaded nymphs years ago it followed they would be great in shallow water for carp. i use a range of cork balls painted black and white so you can always see them. their uses are endless sometimes the best float in the box! In open water keep the hook exposed to aid self hooking , in weed cover the hook etc. In closing try several sizes until you get the best hooking ratio.
rich
Ah, a fellow sight-bob enthusiast - sincere hearty greetings Rich! I agree - they are often the very best float in the box. You are dead right about shallow water, of course. Yesterday, at Wrong Goose Pool, the depth was over 7.5ft just two feet from the bank, and so I decided to lay the approach aside and focus on the top. I tend to use foam medium bobs for most of my fishing (shop-bought), - two actually, joined with the peg into a kind of dumb-bell shape. I find I see takes developing that most floats would not show - those little rings - "dink-dink-dink" - around the bob before it starts to run across the surface and goes under? I've also found, with practice and observation, that a bob is better at revealing whether a "touch" is a line bite or a developing take.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have used something similar when floater fishing but not with a bottom bait.

I often used the red wax from Edam cheese as a sight bob for floater fishing. It is easy to mould to a variety of shapes and is easy to adjust the hook length by sliding it up and down the line.

It also gives you a good reason to eat Edam cheese.

Must try it with bottom baits.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:I have used something similar when floater fishing but not with a bottom bait.

I often used the red wax from Edam cheese as a sight bob for floater fishing. It is easy to mould to a variety of shapes and is easy to adjust the hook length by sliding it up and down the line.

Hmmm, most interesting Snape! - the red wax floats, of course, and has weight - very clever!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Snape wrote:It also gives you a good reason to eat Edam cheese..
Lord knows you'd need a good reason to eat that tasteless, rubbery gunge! Mumble, grumble, can't get proper cheese like you used to, etc...

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

davyr wrote:
Snape wrote:It also gives you a good reason to eat Edam cheese..
Lord knows you'd need a good reason to eat that tasteless, rubbery gunge! Mumble, grumble, can't get proper cheese like you used to, etc...
I actually agree that Edam is not a great cheese taste wise.

I acquired most of my wax for fishing from when my children used to eat Babybel cheese. My son used to eat it like it was going out of fashion and hence I now have a large quantity of the red wax.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I've never thought of using wax but have used shop bought floating putty in the past.

Yes Babybel cheese is very addictive to young boys, my son will eat several at a time he unwraps them, holds them up to the sky, says "mooooooon cheeeeeeese" then swallows them almost whole.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

stalkingluke wrote:I've never thought of using wax but have used shop bought floating putty in the past.

Yes Babybel cheese is very addictive to young boys, my son will eat several at a time he unwraps them, holds them up to the sky, says "mooooooon cheeeeeeese" then swallows them almost whole.
I use floating putty alot for surface fishing bread at a distance.

My grandson also love Babybel cheese SL, I will never forget last summer when we sat in the garden and he said "Granddad, this looks like one of you reels”.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Snape wrote:I have used something similar when floater fishing but not with a bottom bait.

I've used edam wax quite alot. Nice thing is that If a hooked fish dives into weed, if just falls off! Ace.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, now I know what you mean...I know them as fish pimps. I've used them too to keep a heavy line from sinking when floater fishing.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I wouldn't be without 'em...

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”