Milliput - Anyone used it

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Milliput - Anyone used it

Post by MGs »

Not sure this is the right place for this post. I suspect that it would be of more use in repairing other items of tackle rather than making them.
I picked up details of this product from a classic car site. I am intending to use it to repair small sections of an old style steering wheel. However, it has occurred to me that it may be of use in repairing reel handles, drag controls etc. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience of using it and what the results were like.

http://www.milliput.com/home.htm
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Milliput - Anyone used it

Post by Loop Erimder »

Is this like two different putties you mould together and sets rock hard?
I used something extremely similar maybe 25 years ago to put two marble sized balls onto a pike gag, thought it might be more comfortable for the pike :chuckle: although a mouthful of trebles probably wouldnt make a lot of difference
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I used it a bit donkey's years ago, when I was into miniature modelling. It was very effective for making bits and pieces for converting standard white metal figures into "one-offs". I should think it would do a good job on reels, for example, if they needed a bit of cosmetic surgery.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Loop, yes thats the stuff, mix together and mould.
Davyr, thanks sounds like it is worth a go, it only costs about £5 a packet and for the small jobs I have planned should last a while.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I must get some always handy for fixing things even if they don't need fixin :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Sticks pebbles together to make non-metallic weights - or makes weights as itself.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Funnily enough I found this stuff in my local DIY shop about six months ago, and bought some to experiment with. So far I've used to to fill the leaf nodes in whole cane, made a couple of ferrule stoppers and moulded an Arseley bomb (complete with swivel) which is less dense than lead (or lead sub.) and can be cast onto a soft lake bed without sinking.

Further experiment is scheduled for the dark winter evenings...

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

My lad swears by it - cracking stuff for filling cracks and joins in resin models and kits. Sands down to a flawless finish.

Not used it in any fishing related stuff though - but why not!
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've used it for models. I even managed to repair a small hole in an exhaust with it. I don't see why it couldn't have an application in repairing fishing things, I think some people use it to repair ceramics. You can get different grades. Worth a try – I bought myself a couple of small sculpting tools and if you keep it nicely wet while you work can get a smooth finish. You can sand it and drill it when hard. Not sure if it could be tapped to take a screw though.

For models I now use another two part putty called Green Stuff which I think was originally invented for plumbing repairs. I find it much easier to use than Milliput.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”