Rod storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Rod storage

Post by Snape »

Sparky wrote:Yes, I'm doing:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German.

If I'm honest, I had some pretty bad results in my AS. I've got one more year to sort it out. Physics was good - okay with that, but maths let me down. I can do all the maths. Ask me to find the limits, work with different types of space, do crazy stuff with limits, etc and I'll do it in a flash. But for some reason I clog up in the real thing. I was getting A's and A*'s in all my mocks (in test conditions), but then just doesn't work out in the real thing.

It seems like a way to blame someone other than myself, but I genuinely feel that the goal posts have been moved. Besides, physics and maths exams seem to twist questions in such a way that I should take English to understand them. I never wanted to take English, just tell me clearly what you want, and I'll find it for you.

Nevermind though, eh? :)
Should have done chemistry! :roll:
Also see if you can get the papers back (it will cost you but it is worth it) and then you actually see where you lost marks. Go through and decide for each lost mark whether it was lack of knowledge (then learn it), lack of understanding (go back to the book or teachers for help) or carelessness which is most common ( :brickwall: then read the question and answer the question and to check answers properly). Most important exam skill is RTBQ, ATBQ...
After all life goes on and there's always fishing!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's the second type of hole cutter I use, one of these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFXYRU/r ... B000LFXYRU

Getting the cutting speed right and coming in from BOTH sides, gets a cleaner finish, but there's always plenty of sanding to do as well.

I now have hundreds of round wooden plugs which I can't bring myself to throw away, feeling that they'll surely come in useful for something one day.....I just have no ideas what :oops:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have my rods carefully stored in a cupboard. Each rod hangs in its bag, thin ends up of course! Each bag hangs on a simple brass cup hook. The bags are tied loosely and I use two small bulldog clips to secure the flap end of the rod bag so it doesn't have to be tied tightly to ensure closure.

If you follow Barder's advice you would not display cane rods in a rack. He suggests they are kept in dry bags hanging in a dry dark place. I wouldn't want my rods stored where there is damp so definitely not in a shed or garage.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've certainly come across rods that must have been leant against a wall, slipped and been forgotten for years, and have thus taken a bad set.

For that reason my rod racks have a hole in the bottom for the rod sections to drop into and are only canted over backwards by a few degees, thus placing no strain on the sections.

They are all stored in a barely heated room in the house away from direct sunlight.

My wife thinks this is our dining room, but she is in error........

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have just found a picture on the internet of a horizontal rod rack, would it hurt if the rods we stored in this way.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Very elegant, but a disaster waiting to happen if you have children or dogs with tails, I fear.

Perhaps OK if the section were tied together with rod bands........

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I was thinking something like this but screwed to the wall 3 feet from the floor.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I'd be worried about the rods developing a set but if the rods are removed to be used regularly and not always left the same way up perhaps that wouldn't be a problem?

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I agree with pduffield in that, rods should be hung by the loops on the ends of their bags so that air can circulate around them and there is no stress caused by leaning in a rack.
You may be interested in this which I made this a long time ago now and it does the job well. It's just a simple board with decorative hooks screwed into it. I was going to make something better, like a sort of shelf arrangement with hooks underneath-but never got a round tuit!!

The 'Rod Room' is rather small so I couldn't get any further back..

..On the other hand, there's this...

I keep reels, fly-tying stuff & other tackle in a cabinet I made..It's never actually been out of the room as it was made in it!

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Love those fleur-de-lys hooks WM+.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”