Rod storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Rod storage

Post by Loop Erimder »

What is a 'set' ? Does it mean a bend?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Loop Erimder wrote:What is a 'set' ? Does it mean a bend?
A permanent bend in the cane due to being kept incorrectly, overloading by hooking a particularly big/powerful fish or stressing the tip by having too acute an angle between line and rod usually when landing a fish or by sitting on it etc!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Mark as tempting as a horizontal ready made rod rack might be I think it's asking for trouble in the long term. I feel cane rods have a lot invested in them, be it money and/or time spent on their restoration and I wouldn't do anything to them that might risk storage damage, which I think would be heartbreaking. Float collections, angling art, reels and other such items are probably safer bets for display than rods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

In my experience (I actually have some here!) storing a rod horizontally has little effect on it. If you take a look on my thread "The Palace No. 6", you can see how I've stored a cane spinner and greenhart fly rod for the best part of 4-5 years. They are on my bedroom wall, each support by two hooks.

Looking back on it, I would have not done this, for fear of the rod sagging, however they are still in brilliant condition. (sag - wise)

Just my 2 pennies.

Sparky

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

IF a set has taken place could you not place it in a steamer and then bend it back into a straight?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Loop Erimder wrote:IF a set has taken place could you not place it in a steamer and then bend it back into a straight?
Many of the rods I've restored have had a set, usually in the tip, but sometimes in the middle and/or butt sections. Split cane and even whole cane sections can be straightened again using heat - I rotate the sections in and out of the flame from a gas ring, but the set can sometimes come back in use, or even in storage.

I usually heat the section after the rod has been stripped prior to restoration, but I have successfully straightened a couple of rods with the varnish on too, but very carefully!

I know several members have a lot more experience of this than I do, in fact I only plucked up the courage to 'put flame to cane' after reading some of the posts here.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sometimes the cane is shot and immediately takes a set again when bent.

I tend to try and heat and bend them straight and test them now, before I do anything else. I have two rods in the loft bought at auction by a friend abroad, who had them posted to me for inspection. Both rods had bad sets ( so much for auction house appraisals and honesty) and both would not hold.

Two very valuable rods he paid top money for and both need full re-furbs and new tips. One of them, a Hardy, uses rings no longer available anywhere.........:-(

Rock and a hard place for my pal...sell them as needing a LOT of work and money and take a huge knock, or have them done-up and have paid far over the odds for them????

It might be that a bit of varnish 'pickles up' over the flame, but it invariably can be patted down again and seems to key to the cane again.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Finally got round to building one using Nobby's advise by modifying a shelving unit from B&Q. Only I did not have a big enough round drill bit so I just cut out some 'V's with a fret saw.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Looks peachy Mark....nice one mate!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Have just recently knocked up this rod rack, cost about a fiver, just need to stain it now

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”