Paint striping

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
BlackSheep

Paint striping

Post by BlackSheep »

I have an old Flick'em pin, the paint on it is a bit manky to say the least so i have had a brian storm and decided to strip it all off and have the pin in its bare form.

What is the best way of doing this?

(Please bare in mind i am a numpty at stuff like this :chuckle: )

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Paint striping

Post by Loop Erimder »

Use some paint remover :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Yes, pretty much as Loop's somewhat minimalist reply.

I'd add the folowing:

Get a small tin (250ml should be more than ample) of Nitromoors. Get some coarse grade wire wool, either 0 or 1. Brush the nitromoors onto the reel and the paint, if it's anything like a Speedia's, will lift almost immediately. Rub any lifting paint off with the wire wool and then nuetralise with meths. Simple as that.

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

Many thanks Haydn.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

If your using a brush to get into the drum make sure your wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves. Nitromoors is powerfull stuff which I've used many times but take care as a little spot flicked up will damage any surface, clothes or skin. As Hayden says the paint will come off very easily. Use loads of running water to clean it all off afterwards.

Mike

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm told Nitromors have changed the recipe and the new stuff is apparently no where near as good as the old stuff. I've used the old stuff a lot and I'd reiterate about being careful with it. I'd wear some form of eye protection, specs should be fine, if you don't wear glasses some goggles of some sort. And wear gloves it will burn your skin after a few minutes. If you've got a breathing mask for spraying etc I'd wear that as well and pulling of paint can release toxic fumes. This might all sound a bit 'elf & safety but the last time I didn't wear any protective stuff I was using a hot glue gun with unfortunate results. I was wearing shorts and had placed the gun in it's holder for a minute or two, when picking it up to use a blob of glue dropped out of the end of the gun and onto my bare leg. Of course it stuck and burnt and your natural reaction is to try to get the stuff off with your fingers so I burnt those as well. Ooops.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I have found Mangers paint stripper to be about the same as Nitromors used to be. Absolutely brilliant in other words :wink: I have used it to strip down a couple of Trudex's I have and it got all the paint off a treat and did not damage any other part of the reel including the handles. However, be careful as the handles on your reel may be made of a different material to that of the Trudex. Though, Youngs and other companies seemed to 'share' designs and just rebadge :roll:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

BlackSheep

Post by BlackSheep »

Many thanks gents, just got to pluck up the courage now to make a start.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

If you can find it Paramose is about the best paint stripper you can get. It's pretty much sold only for industrial use but it should be available from laquer suppliers. Costs about half what you pay for Nitromoors from the DIY sheds, too.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

If you do decide to repaint the reel then a rattle can of etch primer is wonderful stuff. I did try it in my airbrush but it took ages to clean out so I tend to use U-Pol now in one of those rattle cans. Once this is on and dry it gives an excellent base for a decent enamel. I tend to use satin black on most of the reels I refurbish unless it is a specific colour like the blue of the Mitchells. Shame the manufacturers didn't have this sort of paint when they first produced the reels, more of the paint might have stayed in place.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”