Bamboo Rod rest storage

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Bamboo Rod rest storage

Post by Loop Erimder »

Having made a couple of bamboo float tubes (in the picture) I decided to have a go at something else using bamboo. The remainder of the bamboo I purcased from B&Q was cut down, sanded, stained and whipped. The piece of oak that the tubes are standing on are from a special fallen oak tree that resides at a very special pool :wink:

Once the tubes are varnished a few times they will be firmley glued to the piece of oak and once all dried I will be able to store my bank sticks
Last edited by Loop Erimder on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Rod rest storage

Post by Loop Erimder »

Also if anyone wants to make one for themselves you will of course need a fair bit of thread. I had a large spool of black braid so I though I could use this, it works fine but can be quite slippy on the bamboo and on several occassions I had to start again as it just slipped off, a pain in the bum but managed to get it done in the end :brickwall:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice idea Loop. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Thanks Mark, I got the idea when the missus kept pinching my float tube for an ornament in her room, so i said I would make her one with pink whippings, she said could I make her one to put her pens in at work, like a desk tidy thing to store pens, pencils scissors, rulers, rubbers etc. Then I thought I could make one for banksticks and there it is. Just need to make the girlie one now

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Loop Erimder wrote:Also if anyone wants to make one for themselves you will of course need a fair bit of thread. I had a large spool of black braid so I though I could use this, it works fine but can be quite slippy on the bamboo and on several occassions I had to start again as it just slipped off, a pain in the bum but managed to get it done in the end :brickwall:
If you wipe a very thin coat of varnish on the bamboo first, once dry the thread grips it and doesn't slip. I think this was a Gary Marshall tip.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

JohnL wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:Also if anyone wants to make one for themselves you will of course need a fair bit of thread. I had a large spool of black braid so I though I could use this, it works fine but can be quite slippy on the bamboo and on several occassions I had to start again as it just slipped off, a pain in the bum but managed to get it done in the end :brickwall:
If you wipe a very thin coat of varnish on the bamboo first, once dry the thread grips it and doesn't slip. I think this was a Gary Marshall tip.

:thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Re: Bamboo Rod rest storage

Post by Julian »

They look really good Loop :hat:
I'm surprised you can find the time to make such nice things - what with you being a head chef and and the fishing, I'm surprised you have any time left.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Bamboo Rod rest storage

Post by Loop Erimder »

Julian wrote:They look really good Loop :hat:
I'm surprised you can find the time to make such nice things - what with you being a head chef and and the fishing, I'm surprised you have any time left.
I never do nothing unless watching the tv with the missus, but then I might apply some whippings to the bamboo. Sometimes I may pop home for a couple of hours as I'm only 5 minutes from work, life is too short to slob around

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”