changing handles on a centrepin

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
BBamboo

changing handles on a centrepin

Post by BBamboo »

The handles on my Okuma Sheffield I want to change them to a shorter length. I have no problem turning some wooden replacement knobs so that's not the problem.
But could anyone tell be were I can get some shorter metal internal threaded screws which are used inside the wooden knobs on this okuma?.

I want to replace these original handles with shorter handles like on a vintage renolds centrepin

My apologies if you have already seen this question asked on another forum but hoping someone would be able to help

THANKS IN ADVANCE

GARY

Robbi
Tench

Re: changing handles on a centrepin

Post by Robbi »

Hi gary, :)

could you file the original ones down a bit ?

that should work unless you want to keep them the original length to go with the original length handles in case you ever want to change back again.

regards

robbi
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Hi Robbi

Yes the reason why I did not just want to cut the threads down. I could do with some new ones just with shorter threads then I can keep these just in case

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Hi Robbi

Yes the reason why I did not just want to cut the threads down. I could do with some new ones just with shorter threads then I can keep these just in case

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

For unusual fasteners I've used Grainger and McMaster-Carr, I don't know if they are in the UK or not, but any industrial supply house should carry female machine screws in a variety of lengths and thread pitches.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm guessing that you need shouldered set screws here....and of the same thread as the originals to go into your reel spool.

I feel identifying that thread is the first step, the second searching the net for suppliers...or finding a nice chap with a lathe and a set of dies.

I'm sure the thread will prove to be a metric one.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

Hi Nobby

Yes if anyone would advise me as to what I am looking for ?I would be grateful.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i've faced this problem myself and resorted to several hadhock fixes ,one involves using locknuts ,i cut a groove in the bottom (a screwdriver slot) then rounded of the sides then using a threaded bolt i ground down the head and left just enough to slot then rounded it off it was held by a little nut inside the washer/cup (spare ones salvidged from a speedia),the handle had a recess in the bottom too cover the nut then i screwed the locknut down into the handles top recess .

another trick by coinsidence on a okuma aventa pro ,was to follow how the speedia handles are fitted by making the handle post out of brass and then drilling it carefully at both ends and using a centrepunch to spray out the ends into a rivet ,wasn't brilliant ,i beleave the guy eventually got some replacement okuma handles

i sometimes resort to buying a cheap doner reel (a duracast usually) which has the threaded caps and nice handles & then find some new bolts

i know kingpin reels sell handles ,but you'd have to ask about fittings
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

You could always ask Garry Mills. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to sell you something suitable.

http://www.milltackle.co.uk/
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”