...and here's one I made earlier...

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

...and here's one I made earlier...

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Being new to this place, in my first entry on ther welcome section I decided to try my hand at posting as photo...and it worked!

I sent the first thing that fell to hand, a picture of a tackle box that I have recently "de-luxed". Julian was so taken with it (and some photos he has seen on TPBTW) that he has asked me to post more here and I'm happy to oblige if it will be of interest.

The box was one of those "one thing leads to another" projects. I had recently taken delivery of the most beautiful Artisan Avocet rods and a custom built landing net lovingly crafted by the hugely talented Mr.Paul Cook (don't blush Paul :oops: ). Such was its elegance that it put the rest of my kit to shame and immediately I yearned for more of Paul's tackle.

Well, Paul is a busy man and especially with his book having just been published, he didn't have time to fix me up and anyway I had run out of pocket money! So I had to sort things out for myself.

My youth was spent watching Blue Peter, hankering after Valerie Singleton (what passion may lurk behind all that primness I wondered), and construting as fully operational international space station life-size from Fairy Liquid bottles and Kellogs packets :Wink: so I'm not averse to a little fettling and the box was one of the results. In fact there are two boxes...the first try being due for redevelopment shortly.

It all started with a plain white wood box that I bought on eBay, Sadly the maker seems to be no longer there. I had the box stained walnut and the rest I have done myself. The first step was to wire-wool it perfectly smooth and revarnish it with Yacht Varnish. A couple of early coats, and then I added water slide transfers which I had printed off from original cigarette cards. Thene a further four or five coats of v arnish were applied.

I had already made the floats top go in the top section, two sets in fact, the first being Harcork inspired and the second being very poor similitudes of those wonderful patent colour olive and black floats made by Paul. All I had to do was dry fit them and then stick down the slotted foam.

I hate to have things rolling about in my tackle box or badly seated and as there's never the perfect place for scissors, forceps etc., to be kept at the ready, I pinched an idea from my various fly wallets and leather tackle compendia that would allow be to use the space in the lid of the tackle section of the two-tier box.

I had some strips of leatherette lying around and a little work with supereglue, neoprene adhesive and scissors provided a storage solution for catapult, etc.

The "bits boxes" are unprinted tobacco tins, polished, varnished, labeled and revarnished to match the rest of the ensemble.

I'm reasonably pleased with the result, but I still hanker after more of Paul's brilliant stuff...it's on another planet. Meanwhiule this lot will have to do.

Troutbeck

PS: I forgot to mention, in the photo of the green float selection, the light coloured floats to the right in the bottom section were not made be me. They bare actually very early Paul Cook jobs...memory lane, Paul?
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Julian
Salmon

Re: ...and here's one I made earlier...

Post by Julian »

Superb :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice Swythyn! :Hat:

The tobacco tins are very nice.
An interesting glimpse into your man-cave in the background too!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes very nice indeed. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Well done,Sir. :Hat:

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I like! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Very nice!
However, I bet you never made it from sticky backed plastic & a length of Val's knicker elastic.
(The older readers will understand!)
Bob :Hahaha:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Bob Brookes wrote:Very nice!
However, I bet you never made it from sticky backed plastic & a length of Val's knicker elastic.
(The older readers will understand!)
Bob :Hahaha:

You're not paying attention Robert. It's not elastic, it's leather! I told you Val had hidden depths.... :Wink:

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Fanfishingtastic :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Top notch :Thumb:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”