Landing net again

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Landing net again

Post by MGs »

I have temporarily used up my stock of float making materials. Therefore I was looking for another project. Looking at the picture of the Walker net and not having the skill or equipment to replicate it, I did some lateral thinking. I therefore have a project on the go. I am taking a series of pictures (to follow when I get chance to upload).
I have a cradle made from 2mm aluminium sheet, some brass hinge pins for the arms (which were completed for the previous net). I need a spreader and am trying to decide what to make it out of. I have some beech and some mahogany. Both of which are pretty well seasoned having been hanging about in the garage for about 30 years. Anyone got any idea which would be least likely to split and to take some odd shaping to fit the cradle and arms?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MGs
Pike

Re: Landing net again

Post by MGs »

Ok, so here go the photos

Cardboard template of the rough design. The brass screw pins will act as part of the hinge system. Large 3/8 bolt for fixing to handle
Roughed out on the aluminium and a block of beech possibly for the spreader
Aluminium cut roughly to shape and the bolt hole drilled
Cradle folded to shape. The rough outside is the plastic protection on the metal sheet.

I need to drill holes through the centres of both outside parts and the arms for the hinge pins. I could have done this with a flat sheet but wasn't sure the sheet would fold evenly, leaving the holes off centre. More to follow.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Off to a great start MGs, I believe that beech is a tighter grained wood, so in theory less likely to split, but I'm far from an expert.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Beech is highly split resistant, MGs. The very reason why it has been used for donkey's for sofa frames, chisel handles, mallets and such like. It's probably its only good point as it doesn't finish particularly brilliant and has a dull, uninteresting grain pattern. Also, the worm loves it but if it's going to be varnished then that's unlikely to cause you any problems.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Haydn

Thanks. I had guessed it would be fairly sturdy stuff. We have some kitchen chairs made from it. The finish isn't going to matter too much.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Almost done

First trial fit of the arms to get the angle
With the spreader, spreader and cradle still require some fettling
Cradle fettled, bottom edges reduced in width and rounded off, just waiting for the varnish to dry on the spreader.

I just need to fit a cord between the arms and refit the net

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Looking good MGs

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Looks ace well done
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks. I had some concerns about the stability of the arms and strength of the cradle but it seems to be fine. I just need to test it out on a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

All done. Apologies for the photos. Finding somewhere to get a picture without going outside was tricky.
Fitted with the shorter of my two handles 4'.

A bit closer

The only modification I am considering, is something to stop the net sliding up the arms when not spread. It has a tendency to slide down to the top of the arms

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”