Landing net again

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
MGs
Pike

Re: Landing net again

Post by MGs »

A question for you engineering types. I am thinking of making some modifications to this net. I am happy with the handle, arms and wooden spreader. I am considering changing the aluminium cradle. This was cut, filed, folded and drilled from a piece of 2mm aluminium sheet. I am considering making something similar from aluminium billet. I can source some blocks of suitable size, quite cheaply in 6082 T6. Would this be up to the job?
My aim being to replicate this approximate shape but in a neater, slightly more robust material. The available tools and my skill level has meant that I was not able to obtain a truly right angle bend on either of the wings, meaning that the base is slightly bowed
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

MGs

Any use.....

Background

Aluminium alloy 6082 is a medium strength alloy with excellent corrosion resistance. It has the highest strength of the 6000 series alloys. Alloy 6082 is known as a structural alloy. In plate form, Aluminium alloy 6082 is the alloy most commonly used for machining. As a relatively new alloy, the higher strength of Aluminium alloy 6082 has seen it replace 6061 in many applications. The addition of a large amount of manganese controls the grain structure which in turn results in a stronger alloy.

In the T6 and T651 temper, Aluminium alloy 6082 machines well and produces tight coils of swarf when chip breakers are used.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks. Sounds as if it will do the trick. This will be an old school project. Three holes to be drilled, electric. The rest will be like school metalwork lessons, hacksaw and file.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

MG - talk to Northern Nomand for his experience doing exactly that....a definate labour of love - don't forget protective glasses...never had them in my days in the metal shop....

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have finally bitten the bullet (or should that be billet) and ordered this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-FLA ... 3f36739281

I'm not sure when I'll get round to making a replacement for the folded aluminium cradle but it looks like it will do the trick and the dimensions are about right (as is the price)

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Have you ever started a job and wished you hadn't. Don't try this at home, as they say on the TV. I had stupidly assumed that working aluminium wouldn't be that difficult. How wrong can you be. Don't even try unless you have a lathe or milling machine laying about the house. Either that or infinite patience and biceps to match. I have got the billet into a straight sided version of the picture above. It has only taken about 30 man hours of hack sawing, drilling and filing. Picture to follow when it gets light. A bit more filing, and finishing to go. I think it is going to me more stable and secure than the one pictured. However, not something I would recommend. I think I have abut 8 more hours of filing to go. Which I suppose, goes to show how hard the 6082 T6 billet is.
Last edited by MGs on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Here are the pictures

Some finishing to do on the edges. The faces need sanding and polishing. I also need to do a bit of work to the inner faces, so that the spreader goes in nicely.

Some of the resulting war wounds

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well it looks very good indeed although I feel that when one says that one feels a part of something then in your case with this "Labour of Hercules"....you really are......I sense your pain ! Keep going thru the pain and you come out the other side with a delightful landing net MGs. Excellent work......

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I don't envy you and better you than me I thought I had a hard time doing intermediate whippings but that's child's play compared to you'd task welldone so far
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Just persevere and you will get there. These were produced with a just a hacksaw and set of hand files.

Afterwards you can commit the perfect crime - you will have no fingerprints left to leave behind!
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”