First Tackle Shop You Ever Used...

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Tony
Stickleback

Re: First Tackle Shop You Ever Used...

Post by Tony » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Stour Otter wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am
Dave Swallow "Custom Tackle" Columbia Road, Bournemouth. It was shop policy not to wear waders in the shop as light fingered anglers were known to drop floats inside of them. The main attraction as a thirteen-year-old was to see his wife Thelma sat on a bar stool behind the counter in her mini skirt and black knee high boots. Happy days.

Stour Otter
I frequented Dave Swallows tackle shop in ringwood circa 1975 when travelling with the RDAA match secretary Pete Hutchinson (RIP) for a season when he lived in Southampton

Fish
Gudgeon

Post by Fish » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Reids tackle just outside Wilton in Wiltshire,a small space ,part of a removal firms premises,he had more stuff than you could shake a stick at,float making materials,diy rod making ,second hand section,and the place just smelled amazing with the ground baits,i can still smell it to this day.the man was always happy to see us kids,he didnt mind selling us a half pint of maggots,but then he knew that when we were flush after some oat picking or something we would be making a beeline to his shop to spend the lot!
"Go fishing in the morning, work in a factory in the afternoon."
Karl Marx.

Newtocane
Minnow

Post by Newtocane » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Chubman wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm
ive been using the same tackle shop for over 6o years, not many proper tackle shops left now, use them or loose them, homestores of swaythling southampton is well worth a visit if your in hampshire
I now use Homestores whenever I can, but only for around 10 years or so, a mere youngster!

First proper tackle shop would've been Bowlers on the Merry Fiddlers roundabout in Dagenham, tackle shop on one side, that was run by Mr Bowler, and a 'knick=knack' shop on the other that was run by his wife. Shops were combined into one after old Mr Bowler died, Keith Bowler then took over and was still running the shop when I moved to Hampshire in '96. I think Keith died around 2007 and the shop closed in 2015. I used to buy all my bait and tckle there for the weekly outings with the White Hart Dagenham Angling Society.

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 am

I wish I could remember which tackle shop I used as a youngster. It would have been in Grantham where I was st school. I do remember buying bits in Woolworths but usually when shopping with my mum and I could drop bits into her basket!
We used to fish at Denton Reservoir a few miles from the village where we lived. We strapped our rods to our cross bars, filled our saddle bags with tackle and lunch and off we went on our great adventures! Happy days indeed!!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”