Bill (Knocker) Norris

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Bill (Knocker) Norris

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome Penninelad, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Welcome to the forum.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Bob Brookes wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:43 pm Bill Norris set up his tackle shop in the cellar of a regency house at 24 Russell Terrace, Leamington Spa, when he came back from the war. I know because I lived in the house above from 1945 until 1961 and as a lad I spent many hours in his shop & rod workshop.

As well as the shop he had a maggot farm which was run by a mate of mine, Woody, who went on to be a joint founder of Ultra floats. The maggot breeding facility was many years later acquired by Alan lane, the son of the famous Billy Lane of Coventry.

Bill made all my rods, which were usually ferruless cane to cane match types. He had good way of boring out cane that I believe was his own process. His wife Gladys did all the finishing and did a great job with the whipping. Bill devised a treadle operated whipping machine that speeded the process up considerably. When Dick walker came up with the Mk4, he brought out his version which was a 3 piece with a whole cane butt. It was not conventional but was well considered locally.

His shop was typical of it's time being more of a social club or a teashop, little wonder the agreed timescales were seldom met. One of the things I am pleased about is that I went back to his shop around 1986 with my son & they made a rod for him when he was about 11. The material was no longer cane & the finish standard reflected Gladys's failing eyesight but it is still a prized rod of Stuart's.

Shortly afterwards he sold up & the premises continued to be a fishing tackle purveyor under the name of The Tackle Cellar. That has since closed and Old Knocker Norris now a distant, but fond, memory. Does anyone on here remember the establishment & the man?
Bob
Hello Bob

I have sent you a PM about W H Norris. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”