Bill (Knocker) Norris

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Bill (Knocker) Norris

Post by Nobby »

I've just won on eBay, a copy of Billy's Encyclopedia signed by the man himself.

Very smug!

At one time Ultra imported the very best balsa wood in the UK, for all I know, they still do. Billy was an extraordinarily innovative angler and seemed to be able to pulll a win out of any peg somehow.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby,
You were quite right abut the balsa.

They also cornered the market on peacock feathers in the early 70's. The source was China and that was not an easy place to do business with at the time. Somehow they got in & bought a 'shed load' which took up a fair bit of space in the factory. I even think they were being asked to supply other float makers, but I am not sure if they did.

As an aside, the eyes were all hand whipped by out workers, one of which was my Mum. She got something like 10 shillings for 50 & that was for my mate, slave driver!
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

:hahaha:

I shall look out for some more, wondering if your Mum put the rings on.

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Hi guy.
Just read the piece on bill Norris with great interest. I have just purchased a split cane rod, this was one I was asking for advice on about cleaning the Ferrells. The rod is 10ft 6ins long 3piece and just over the handle which has a screw fitting for the reel is some writing. Original noris 2091?. As you see it only has one "R" in Norris, a fake maybe? Not that I care she's (the rod) is in beautiful condition, but it would be nice if it a bill norris rod. Just noticed the label in the the bag which says NORIS Fischereiserate then under the fish logo the word qualtatserzeugnisse now I am really confused thinking it might a foreign maker. Would send photo's but as new comer not worked how to upload them yet. Bernard.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It seems 'Noris' may be a German tackle makers ... though the only reference I can find off-hand is to this reference to a "Noris 'Zenit' " rod.

http://www.dhd24.com/archiv/2011/10/530 ... Zenit.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Thanks Ashbycut. Think you could be right, I will do some research on he web. Bernard.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Bernard & chaps,
It is a different Noris as you have already sussed out.

I think that it is the Noris (One R) that were taken over by, or merged with, Shakespeare. I remember having a fixed spool reel called a Noris Shakespeare back in the 60's.

More recently I owned a mint Allcock match aerial in it's original box. The reel had all the right markings but the box said Noris Shakespeare Match Aerial.

As you chaps are probably aware, the group including Allcock, Lee etc were taken over by Shakespeare.

All interesting stuff?

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

BJMason

Post by BJMason »

Hi Ashbycut
The photo you posted was it in refferance to my Noris rod if so it's not that one, mine is 10ft 6ins long split cane and reel fitting is a screw on midway along the handle. If it does not refer to me then sorry.
Bernard.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BJMason wrote:Hi Ashbycut. The photo you posted was it in reference to my Noris rod.
No, Sir ... just an example of a German "Noris" made rod I found on t'internet.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”