Cramer's Tackle Shop, Watford.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
N9nty
Roach

Cramer's Tackle Shop, Watford.

Post by N9nty »

Anybody remember this shop in Watford High Street? It was over another shop that I can't recall anything about and the entrance was straight up a narrow stairway. Upon ascending the stairs near the top you were engulfed in that wonderful smell of rod varnish and floats, I can smell it still. On entering to the left there was a long rack of rods that I used to study intently even though I had no chance of buying one, above these on the wall were hung nets. To the right was a glass topped counter displaying reels, floats, line, hooks etc. with more nets and rods on the wall behind. Also behind the counter at the far end were kept just two sorts of maggots, white and coloured, they cost 6d for one scoop or 1/0d (shilling) for two. Two scoops filled a large maggot tin, aluminium in those days. My recollection is that the shop sold only fishing tackle, no clothing or footwear and I can remember my amazement when I first saw a fishing umbrella for sale. The shop was presided over by a neat and dapper Mr Cramer, he was always there, I never saw anybody else serving the shop.
I first went into the shop in about the mid 1950's with my father and it was there all through the the 60's, anybody know when it closed because I worked abroad during the 70's and it was gone when I returned (along with the rest of Watford that was razed to the ground for redevelopment and improvement, just look at what they have got now).

------------------------------------------------------------------
The older I get the better I was.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”