Dave Burr

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Dave Burr

Post by AshbyCut »

I was presented with a copy of the 1962/3 Coventry and District Angling Association Member's Year Book' at Redditch on Sunday, and couldn't help but have my eyes drawn to this advertisement :-

When's your birthday Dave Burr, Sir, or were you a childhood entrepreneur ??? :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Dave Burr

Post by Bob Brookes »

Childhood entrepreneur indeed. He would have been 30! :Hahaha:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The Banks and Burr tackle shop is still in Rugby on the same street, although now it is 25-27 Claremont Road.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Please, please.... I try to keep the picture in the attic a secret :Sarcasm:

I don't know if the other Dave Burr is still with us but some twenty years or so ago I was chatting with Trefor west and he said he still fly fished with him on a reservoir - the name of which has been forgotten. It would have been fun to have a wet a line together.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

It's my local tackle shop. Dave Burr of Banks & Burr is still with us, he's retired now and his son Carlton handles the day to day running of the shop although I think Dave still does the maggots. He was a very good match angler and won the division 1 national on (I think) The King Sedgemoor Drain in the 60's. He wrote a book on match fishing, I'll try and dig it out as I'm sure it has a picture of him with his winning catch.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AndyB wrote:It's my local tackle shop. Dave Burr of Banks & Burr is still with us, he's retired now and his son Carlton handles the day to day running of the shop although I think Dave still does the maggots. He was a very good match angler and won the division 1 national on (I think) The King Sedgemoor Drain in the 60's. He wrote a book on match fishing, I'll try and dig it out as I'm sure it has a picture of him with his winning catch.
Did he feature in one of the Allcocks Catalogues - 1967 or 1968? or perhaps it was in one of the Milbro-Mitchell Catalogues all of which I was looking through recently and there was his photograph with text proclaiming his success.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I do believe it was the MM challenges...I found it last year in a catalogue and questioned out own Dave Burr about it.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Found them at last! Yes, thanks to Nobby (and my haphazard filing system :roll: ) I have the article in question.

You can tell its not me because I'm in colour :Sarcasm:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”