Dons of Edmonton

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Dons of Edmonton

Post by Lea Dweller »

Sad news of Don Neish passing on, I had dealings with him over probably twenty years. He taught me to cast a fly reasonably well, was very helpful whenever asked for information. He will be missed by many people that got to know him. I am so pleased that within the last two years I purchased a Mark IV carp rod built on an Oliver's of Knebworth blank, a superb rod with "Richard Walker Mark IV" "Don's Edmonton" handwritten on it, a lovely reminder of a fine man. R.I.P Don
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Still got that big box of hooks you gave me Don,RIP.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As an Agent for Leisure Sport and RMC Angling selling their permits I met them in the shop many times. A sad loss but what a tackle shop - no space left untouched!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Sad news indeed
I think of the man every time I use his Light Surfcaster it still casts a 4oz lead. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Dons of Edmonton was a great place to visit, Don and Peter Grundel were always very helpful, showing you how to tie knots or loading up a spool of nylon. I can remember a big pile of Richard Walkers " No Need To Lie" being cleared out for 75p each. There was also one of the finest cased fish I ever saw, a superb 35lb plus pike in a bow fronted case with gold lettering stating that it had been caught from the Dorset Stour.
I can still picture that fish clearly and wonder where it is now.Anyone out there know?
Best Jardine

Whopper
Minnow

Post by Whopper »

So sad to hear that Don Neish passed away.

Don's of Edmonton for me was a big tackle shop in these days and I came over from germany in 1985 to visit this shop
(and others in outer London) and buying some rods and tackle here & there.

I liked the atmosphere in this shop very much!

To the best of my recollection there was also a dart shop on the other side of Fore St., also belonging to Don's of Edmonton or was it another tackle shop with a dart department? - I can't remember right as it is over 30 years ago...
Last edited by Whopper on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catch your dreams...

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

I feel robbed that I never visited it...and sadder that I never met the legendary man.
The relationship with Olivers was obviously very strong. I bought a job lot of gear from near there several years ago and in it was the most incredible fibreglass pole/rod. It has a cork handle and is about 20ft long when all sections are joined up. Its whipped like a Sowerbutts pole and as all the gear came from clearing out Don's shop I was told it was a prototype crossover from pole to glass rod away from the usual cane which makes sense. The rep gave it to the shop to get trialled. Needless to say it was never used and I'm yet to use it...I only recognised the work and the bag it came in as Olivers as I recall it was unnamed but I have seen another named and used by a match man on the upper Trent.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I will be bringing my "Dons of Edmonton" Mark IV to the cane and pin match in July, hope to catch while using it!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

This came up on Facebook it has a bit on Don Niesh's anti birds nest device for multipliers. Anyone seen or used one?
https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/vid ... 791624122/
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tradlad
Stickleback

Post by Tradlad »

I remember Dons and also Alan who worked there in the early years, the Fifties. Jack Simpson was Ron Chapmans rod builder. I lost touch but I thought he set up his own business in later years.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”