Northampton tackle shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Richie
Roach

Northampton tackle shop

Post by Richie »

Gilders of Wellingborough rd Northampton is well worth a visit . A good stock of traditional clothing is on offer as well as fishing tackle and guns etc ,fantastic service and advice on fishing in local waters both course and game .
The laughing Hyena he drives me crackers would he laugh so much if I cut off his knackers.

Clivey
Ruffe

Re: Northampton tackle shop

Post by Clivey »

Echo the above, never heard a bad word said about Guilders and if i may share a quick true story to show their professionalism if thats ok.

As one of the 'thin blue line' through enquiries a few months back i came into possession of three fly fishing rods i had off of a known thief, I knew this lad was not a fisherman so they were seized them off of him.

I then made some enquiries with the local fishing shops as at that time we did not have any matching crimes either Burglaries or Thefts what had been reported with those specific roads taken. I figured whoever had lost them would need to buy replacements at some point so i left the tackle shops my contact details.

A few days later i had a call from Guilders management who passed on a chaps details for me. I rang the chap who had three fly fishing rods stolen from his vehicle one previous night but had not bothered reporting it (insecure pickup truck so no damage caused getting in this is why he did not report it he told me !!) He was very grateful to get them all back undamaged and i think a measure of Guilders professionalism and customer service that they were more interested in getting the rods back to their rightful owners rather than making a new sale of their own (not cheap rods either--to the tune of over £300).

We managed to get the chap remanded and i think with a few similar other offences he was sent down for 6 months or so.

Alas i was not able to persuade the chap who lost the roads to give up fluff chucking and to turn his hand to coarse fishing but thats another story.!!

Clivey

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

I have a belief and that is to always support the tackle shops,

To much these days are far to reliant on the EBay for the ease of buying various items of tackle, although I never buy off of the Bay meself I suppose that it has its uses but I will always stress that where does the average person buy there maggots from :eyebrow: I'm sure that most would automatically go to the local tackle shop,

As I've worked in tackle management a few years back I often used to have people come into the shop and could here them discussing with there mates and comparing prices to what they can get on the Net,
These people often just buy bait and walk out,

It's a known fact that the majority of tackle shop owners actually make very little money on live bait IE maggots, worms etc as they supply this as a service in the hope that people will purchase a few items of tackle aswell as buying some bait,

I personally don't use the Bay and prefer to buy all of me tackle from tackle shops and have made some fantastic freinds over the years from various shops covering Kent, Surrey and London With the exception that I'll buy quality vintage tackle from various freinds :Thumb:

Trouble is that people who sell on the Net from home do not have the same over heads as to what the tackle shop owner may have IE shop rent, electricity bills, wages of perhaps other staff and payments of various tackle accounts that have to equate their prices to cover their costs but still at a sensible price.

The Bay is sadly the biggest killer of many tackle shops nowadays and this is just mearly a reminder to all to please don't neglect and forget yer local tackle shops :cheers:
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Clivey wrote:Echo the above, never heard a bad word said about Guilders and if i may share a quick true story to show their professionalism if thats ok.

As one of the 'thin blue line' through enquiries a few months back i came into possession of three fly fishing rods i had off of a known thief, I knew this lad was not a fisherman so they were seized them off of him.

I then made some enquiries with the local fishing shops as at that time we did not have any matching crimes either Burglaries or Thefts what had been reported with those specific roads taken. I figured whoever had lost them would need to buy replacements at some point so i left the tackle shops my contact details.

A few days later i had a call from Guilders management who passed on a chaps details for me. I rang the chap who had three fly fishing rods stolen from his vehicle one previous night but had not bothered reporting it (insecure pickup truck so no damage caused getting in this is why he did not report it he told me !!) He was very grateful to get them all back undamaged and i think a measure of Guilders professionalism and customer service that they were more interested in getting the rods back to their rightful owners rather than making a new sale of their own (not cheap rods either--to the tune of over £300).

We managed to get the chap remanded and i think with a few similar other offences he was sent down for 6 months or so.

Alas i was not able to persuade the chap who lost the roads to give up fluff chucking and to turn his hand to coarse fishing but thats another story.!!

Clivey
Glad to here that the rods were recovered and clearly shows the professionalism of such tackle shops and why we need to help support them :Thumb:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”