My Tackle Shops as a boy.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Mr B
Arctic Char

My Tackle Shops as a boy.

Post by Mr B »

I woke in the early hours of the morning and had a job to get back to sleep.
So rather than counting Sheep i thought about the fishing tackle shops i used as a boy.
Some of you might remember them? I have forgotten some of there names but remember the road names.

Todds Tackle and Guns, Lee Rd SE12. Lovely old shop. Had every thing you needed including cartridges if you needed them.

Rod and line ( Geffery Bucknals shop) Lomepit Vail Lewisham. And what a nice man he was too. (I have one of his hollow glass ledger rods)

Kens, further up the Road in the same Road as The Rod and Line.

A lovley little shop in Nunhead Lane SE15... It sold pet food too. I got a cheap blue center pin there when i was around 7
It was run by a husband and wife team. The wife had a huge blond Beehive hairdoo, fantastic!
Always had plenty of bait and Hemp seeds that you boiled yourself.

Another nice little Shop was in North Cross Road just a turning off Lordship Lane in E Dulwich. Tiny shop jammed full of tackle, i got my first Alvey boat reel there, and also a nice Strikeright reel, think it was called a Questflow it was a narrow drum reel, very light and smooth. The little window at the front was chocker block, I was always bumping my head on it!

Down Rye Lane, turning left into Peckham Road. Great shop... What I can remember of it, it was a big shop, real good, with some lovely tackle. Glass cases of fish on the walls a glass topped counter full of beautiful floats.

I must say the shops now are just not the same, perhaps its just me being a bit of a romantic, I don't know.

Be interested if any of you remember them?

Tight lines

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: My Tackle Shops as a boy.

Post by Tengisgol »

I don't know about his shop but I do have a picture somewhere of Geoffrey Bucknall presenting me with a rod that I won for a casting competition (aged 14 or so).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm just reading Fishing Days by Mr Bucknell. Very good it is too.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

He always had time to talk and give advise,ma real nice man.
I'll look out for his book...
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mr B wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am I woke in the early hours of the morning and had a job to get back to sleep.
So rather than counting Sheep i thought about the fishing tackle shops i used as a boy.
Some of you might remember them? I have forgotten some of there names but remember the road names.

Todds Tackle and Guns, Lee Rd SE12. Lovely old shop. Had every thing you needed including cartridges if you needed them.

Rod and line ( Geffery Bucknals shop) Lomepit Vail Lewisham. And what a nice man he was too. (I have one of his hollow glass ledger rods)

Kens, further up the Road in the same Road as The Rod and Line.

A lovley little shop in Nunhead Lane SE15... It sold pet food too. I got a cheap blue center pin there when i was around 7
It was run by a husband and wife team. The wife had a huge blond Beehive hairdoo, fantastic!
Always had plenty of bait and Hemp seeds that you boiled yourself.

Another nice little Shop was in North Cross Road just a turning off Lordship Lane in E Dulwich. Tiny shop jammed full of tackle, i got my first Alvey boat reel there, and also a nice Strikeright reel, think it was called a Questflow it was a narrow drum reel, very light and smooth. The little window at the front was chocker block, I was always bumping my head on it!

Down Rye Lane, turning left into Peckham Road. Great shop... What I can remember of it, it was a big shop, real good, with some lovely tackle. Glass cases of fish on the walls a glass topped counter full of beautiful floats.

I must say the shops now are just not the same, perhaps its just me being a bit of a romantic, I don't know.

Be interested if any of you remember them?

Tight lines

Mr B.
I can vaguely remember the shop on Peckham Road, am I right in thinking if you were coming up from Camberwell Green it was on the left ? this would be about 45 years ago, If it is then I bought a brand new Marco cane rod which from memory was 12'or tad longer, I didn't appreciate cane at the time and found it heavy and soft, a year or two later I sold it... a mistake !
Tight lines
Dave ( ex Elephant & Castle resident )

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well, I thought it would have been on your right... I could be wrong though, sides of the road can change in fifty years!!! Its got to be the same shop.. I thought it was a few shops down from Wilsons bike shop (a lovley old shop I like old bikes too!) my dads road was a Marco split cane rod. I syill have it now, I recon he would have got it in that shop.
I poped into the old Marco premises a few years ago im Bromley. They still had rod blanks in the rafters of the roof! Its The Broley Brush Company now. Still in the same building. I syill have a couple of hollow glass rods made by them. They also made the best heavy duty boat rod fittings... Conoflex still have a few.
Should have kept that rod mate!
Thanks for your coments.
Tight lines
Mr B

Ps I used to go to the picturse at Eliphant and Castle and have a drink in The Butts!

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Mr B wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

Mr B.
It was in that shop that I think I had seen the funniest thing in a tackle shop.
It was in the early 90's & I had popped in for some bait & odds & sods.
They were serving some yuppie that was going on a fishing trip with the others from work.
It sounded like he had never been fishing before.
The person serving reminded me of a cartoon character with pound signs in his eyes.
Telling him everything that would be needed for a days fishing. Couple of rods,reels, spare reel, umbrella, nets .
Can't imagine how much was spent.

Kevin Foster
Minnow

Post by Kevin Foster »

Remember Ken’s in the 70’s and 80’s. it burnt down if I remember correctly. Never liked Bucknalls shop though !!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”