Aubrey Hill

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Aubrey Hill

Post by AshbyCut »

Any information gratefully received. I have a Martin James all split cane rod in need of work that bears the transfer under the varnish, and above the Martin James one :-

Supplied by
Aubrey Hill
Sports Outfitters
8 Holbrooks Lane
Coventry
Phone 88878
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PeteD
Rudd

Re: Aubrey Hill

Post by PeteD »

Just found this very old post so excuse me Ashby Cut if you have already found out any information or if it is not relevant any more.

I remember Aubrey Hill's very well being a Foleshill Kid myself. They were really a general sports outfitters who did a bit of everything including a bit of fishing tackle. To be honest fishing tackle was not a big part of their business from what I can remember. They were more the place you used to go to get your school football shirt, football boots or a table tennis bat. The shop was in a row of shops on Holbrooks railway bridge if you know where that is.

In those days we were spoiled for choice when it came to tackle shops around that area. My local was Cyril Coopers on Station Street Which was only 10 minutes walk away from Aubrey Hill's. Cyril was a great bloke with us local kids and would regularly let me have stuff on the 'never never' and pay for it when I had saved up my pocket money. (I can't ever remember him charging any interest.) Coopers had been a fishing tackle shop for years and before he owned it it was Lomas I believe. We also had Ashby's which was further along the Foleshill Road almost in Longford. Then if I fancied a big trip out a bus ride and a short walk took me to the great man Billy Lane's emporium.

Happy Days!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”