Simpsons of Turnford

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Fisherman1947
Dace

Re: Simpsons of Turnford

Post by Fisherman1947 »

Tizer wrote:Used to live across the road from Simpsons,Before that I used to live round the corner from Dons of Edmonton and also used to go Tottenham Angling centre as well,how weird is that.I did go into the new Simpsons 4 or 5 times,but the atmosphere was gone.Rudd that little shop you mentioned,i think it was called Abbey Baits,and is still there but has moved to Lea Road opp the canoe centre, only a few hundred yards from his old shop .Chris the owner really wanted that warehouse that and I think he would have done something really good with it.His new shop is a lot bigger than the old one but still has a lot of atmosphere and the blokes in there are always up for a chat.
I was told by my postman that Abbey Baits in lea road has closed I went in there last September so I don't really know if it has.
Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The old tackle shops always had a certain smell of ammonia, old holborn, linseed and pigeon conditioner..... sad to say it's gone..... replaced by an overpowering hum of Tutti-frutti or some such other attractant..... long gone the welcoming cuppa for a good customer, a natter about the local fishing, the price of elephants and how the missus is gettin' on yer nerves... you could buy a pint of caster, a match pack of bloodworm and joker, or pint of squatts, or a pack of Lug, or Rag if that was your bag... there was a tide table on the wall and a board with all the local matches and a home phone number for the organiser's.... shops like that have largely disappeared and for that I am sad

Blimey.... nostalgia's not what it used to be is it....?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

and I think we are all guilty of missing the old tackle shops when they close- and then hitting the computer keys to buy online and drive more out of business

even for those of living out of town- I think a forum initiative to visit a "real" tackle shop on a regular basis would be good

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Hear Hear!

Do the online lot post out a pint of mixed maggots I wonder? :Confused:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”