Simpsons of Turnford

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Re: simpsons of turnford

Post by GarryProcter »

Although I live a long way away, I did visit Simpson's once. I used to consult regularly for a large company in the area, and once I'd saved up enough money, before I left for home I ventured ikn and bought a pair of Jim Gibbinson Eclipses (2.25lb, 12'). I still regret selling those rods in 2000 when we moved to the US...

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

The title is actually just "A glorious waste of time". It was published in a very limited edition that soon sold out, and it must be good as I've only ever seen one copy on eBay (which went for £67).

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

it is a good book. I have all of Jim's books since "Modern Specimen Hunting", he's a writer and an angler I admire greatly. I have the privilege of having being in correspondence (occasional more than regular) with him for quite a few years now. I'd really like to meet up with him some day.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I caught two carp last week (17.4 and 16lb) on my Simpson KM5 Carp rods- I changed the handles but all the rest is original- 35 years of use is not bad!

And with the rest of the "carp" world having changed to rods that would have suited use at Dungeness of the beach- i am glad to have them

the internet is a wonderful thing- but destsruction of "proper" fishing shops is a by product.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

yep i missed out on buying that book as well it now sells for quite a high price

CarpFisher

Post by CarpFisher »

I remember Simpsons well when i used to fish stanstead abbotts and broxbourne leisure sport waters. I bought one of the very first KM bedchairs there, we waited ages for them to turn up and they weighed a ton ! Still got it somewhere in the garage but don't use it much these days.
Arnolds i remember as well right in waltham cross, i seem to remember they had Ritchie up there one day and had a range of their own carbon rods.
There was a great tackle shop in hoddesdon i seem to remember as well from well back in the 80's

Tizer
Chub

Re: Simpsons of Turnford

Post by Tizer »

Used to live across the road from Simpsons,Before that I used to live round the corner from Dons of Edmonton and also used to go Tottenham Angling centre as well,how weird is that.I did go into the new Simpsons 4 or 5 times,but the atmosphere was gone.Rudd that little shop you mentioned,i think it was called Abbey Baits,and is still there but has moved to Lea Road opp the canoe centre, only a few hundred yards from his old shop .Chris the owner really wanted that warehouse that and I think he would have done something really good with it.His new shop is a lot bigger than the old one but still has a lot of atmosphere and the blokes in there are always up for a chat.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Simpson's is now part of the Angling Direct chain and is in a different location.....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Bluelabel wrote:Simpson's is now part of the Angling Direct chain and is in a different location.....
Yeah. Have you been in there,what did you think?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

No.... I've not been over there..... but then I live on the doorstep of the Chelmsford store... cheap enough if you have a club membership (you get a discount for membership) I think that the personal service you got with Simpsons has gone, like rod building repairs and the like.... from reports from a mate they'd rather sell you a new rod than repair an old one... but thats the way of it these days I s'pose
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”