Cliff Glenton, Northfields

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Cliff Glenton, Northfields

Post by Nobby »

So Cliff was selling his old boss' fibreglass rods too. I've since found adverts that he was selling the B.James Walker Mk.IV too.

I see Cliff's shop has now expanded into 188 too and is a fireplace shop, whereas Jim Bruce's is part of the huge Car Care complex from 193 to 199. So both had corner shops almost opposite each other....Cliff on the corner of Cranmer Road and Jim on the corner with Windermere Road.

And my favourite Greek restaurant is now a Sainsbury's local.........

Whopper
Minnow

Post by Whopper »

Is there anybody who might be able to explain how it camne that later Cliff Glenton sold Mk.IVG's under his own Name and not B.James or B.James in ass. with Bruce&Walker?
Was it only a short period?
- It seems that only a few of these rods are still existing...
Catch your dreams...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've read that he sold split cane Mk.IV rods after Jim Bruce went to Cambridgeshire, but I wasn't aware he sold the later fibreglass rods. I can only suggest that Jim stayed in contact with Cliff and helped support the old business with his new rods.

Huttojon
Minnow

Post by Huttojon »

You are corrct Nobby,James Bruce and Cliff Glenton were good friends .I met both JKames Bruce and Ken Walker in the shop a number of times.It must be pointed out that the sale of glass rods did not replace the production and sale of the cane3 range.Cliff sold both ranges as did other retailers,Bennetts of Sheffield for example.A fire at Upwood destroyed the cane wokshop in I believe 1968,at that time Cliff had outstanding orders for Mk4's.To my knowledge Cliff never sold Mk44's under his own name but he did put his own supplers label on some rods but this never obscured the makers name..JohnH

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”