Blean Angling

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Blean Angling

Post by Deaf Cat »

A better story after my disappointing experience at a local tackle shop (http://traditionalfisherman.co.uk/viewt ... f=7&t=3740)

Today, in my quest for moving water, I went down to Canterbury since I know that the Great Stour moves, although I have never fished it. I called in at Blean Angling to ask about it.

The boss stopped tending his worms, washed his hands, and showed me on my map where I should go, what I should expect and how I should fish (as well as the recommended supplies). Just what I needed.

Half an hour later I was at the delightfully named Pluck's Gutter (after a Dutch Drainage Engineer called Ploeg according to Wikipedia) where after a slow start I harrassed the silver fish with some success trotting in both directions. At about mid-day the tide obviously started to come in (the estuary must be several miles downstream) and the flow stopped and reversed!

As I was leaving I bumped into the landowner who revealed where chub hide, so I shall return. Thank you Wantsum AA, and a big thank you for traditional service from Blean Angling.

(And Morris got a lift home on a recovery truck - an exciting end to a good day!) :hahaha:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Trevor
Eel

Re: Blean Angling

Post by Trevor »

Always good to hear there's still some good old customer service out there somewhere.
And I hope Morris doesn't have to serious an ailment

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Nice to hear my local shop is getting noticed, never been there without being offered a cup of tea or coffee and if its not on the shelf he can usually get it in. Not fished the plucks gutter end for years but just up from the pub was a regular place and many a chub was taken between the moorings further up. A change to waggler fished over groundbsit at slack water would tempt confused bream as there was no flow then back to the Avon float. Strangest catch there was a flounder of just under a pound in the middle of a dozen or so bream, pushed well upstream by a big swell and high tide. You didn't see the seals that gave been seen there of late while you we're there did you ?

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I saw no seals and my tackle would not have coped! :shocked:

It appears they have gone a way further upstream - this article says Grove Ferry which must be a dozen miles from the sea as the seal swims.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gaz ... _seal.aspx
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”