benwoods of London

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Paul Cook
Grayling

benwoods of London

Post by Paul Cook »

Does anyione know anything about this tackle shop/ manutacturer . I have never heard of them before much to my shame as they were apparently a well known tackle shop/ maker . I have just acquired a very nice Avon Perfection 3 piece with detachable handle which is built to a very high standard . Would love to know if they built their own cane or built on blanks . The cane is quite dark and the colour combination of the silk whippings is very much in the same style as Ted Oliver . Thanks in advance.

James
Rudd

Re: benwoods of London

Post by James »

Paul i did once own a Benwoods of London , The Kennet barbel rod.it was 3pc split cane and as you say dark cane well made,bit of an unusual style, it had really heavy well made ferrules that were knurled .most unusual. I have attached a image,i think it may have been refurbished at some time.
In a 1953 The Anglers News they have a advert and call themselves tackle suppliers.
Benwoods of London. 64 Church St,Edgware Road, London ,N W 8.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I was bought my first fixed spool reel (an Intrepid Regent) there!
I thought I'd gone to heaven, I'd never seen such a shop... then again, it was probably the first tackle shop I had seen.

I seem to recall hearing that Mick "Captain America" Thill used to make Norfolk Reed floats for them to sell; I understand that he's moved back here, and is augmenting his income at the expense of the Essex match-fishing community (class will out); if you can track him down, he might remember the gen you're after.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Thanks James and Vole , for both replies regarding this tackle shop / maker . The rod I have just acquired is the Avon de lux with lined low bells rings throughout , no doubt these rings are for the de lux version . In all the years I have been rod building and restoring I have never seen one of these rods by this company and it is very well made . The ferrules are not knurled but are re inforced and looks to be quite a powerful rod no doubt suitable for barbel .

I was told that Mick Thill used to work there , not sure if this is entirely true or not but there was a connection with him and the shop and the reed floats would certainly would ceratinly be part of the connection . Thanks again for the info.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

This came up on Andrews of Arcadia this morning...

http://www.andrewsofarcadiascrapbook.bl ... t-nw8.html

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”