Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop

Post by Mark »

I can remember when I was about twelve years old staring in the window of Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop on Northgate Street just off Narborough Road in Leicester and marvelling at all floats and gadgets etc. I was with my Mother and I was looking for a reel case. I can’t remember what it cost but I still have the reel case, I’m looking at it now, it’s on my desk. I don’t know why the topic came up but I can vividly remember my Mother talking to Mr. Wadsworth and they discovered that they shared the same birthday. Its funny how silly things like that stick in your mind.

The premises were occupied by the Wadsworth family business from 1912 to 1977 when it eventually closed. His son Tony has his own show on Radio Leicester, nothing to do with fishing mind.

While searching the internet I found this old clip where Tommy Wadsworth is painting on the window that he has some worms for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTonyWads ... e3OFQUzaqs
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chunky

Re: Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop

Post by Chunky »

re tommy wadsworth tackle shop it was on northgate st just off of frog island . i used to fish in the local canal as igot older i eventually joined the northgate angling club which was run by tommy .his shop was every young boys dream come true i spent many an hour getting tips and advise from him .one thing i would say is that his shop on northgate st was nowhere near narborough rd

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Northgate Street is about 5 minutes walk from Narborough Road. But having said that I think there were possibly two Wadsworth tackle shops in Leicester. After further investigations this video was Tony Wadsworth tackle shop that I use to use as a lad and this one is on Narborough Road itself. Possibly they moved from Northgate Street to Narborough Road at a later date.

Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

What an extraordinary coincidence......Wadworth is hardly a common name, but there's a Wadworth's Brewery in Devizes.......it's called the North Gate Brewery.....because it's in North Gate Street !!!!

http://www.wadworth.co.uk/contactus.html

Lovely old clip that, from a time when tackle shops smelled very different.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The brewery is Wadworth the tackle shop is Wadsworth (with an 's') Nobby.
Mark (Administrator)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

D'oh! I'm always missing that 'S'.... :oops:

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

tony wadsworth was tommys son i have no idea when tony moved the shop to narborough rd the northgate st shop was only a small shop but as you can see narborough rd shop shop was a lot bigger.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Chunky wrote:tony wadsworth was tommys son i have no idea when tony moved the shop to narborough rd the northgate st shop was only a small shop but as you can see narborough rd shop shop was a lot bigger.
I have sent Tony Wadsworth an email today so hopefully he will clear this up for us.
Mark (Administrator)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I received an email from Tony Wadsworth today, this clears up my waning memory. :Chuckle:

Apparently it was the Narborough Road shop I use to visit and not the Northgate Street shop.

Hi Mark, Good to hear from you.

The "old" shop in Northgate Street was scheduled for demolition so, the business relocated to Narborough Road in 1977.

I sold the business on Narborough Road in 1981 to go into broadcasting full-time and I believe it changed hands again before finally closing sometime around the mid 80s.

Thanks for you interest; it's appreciated.

Best wishes with the Forum.

Tony
Mark (Administrator)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

An advert from the 1955 "10 Counties Angling Guide."

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”