Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Chunky

Re: Wadsworth's Fishing Tackle Shop

Post by Chunky »

its nothing to do with fishing but a number of years before there was an accident on the great central railway line behind tommys shop and part of the train ended up in tommys back garden fortunately i believe nobody was seriously injured

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

What a nice reminder Mark of what was 'a traditional tackle shop', when I moved up to Leicester in the 70's Wadsworths on Northgate was where I used to get my bits and bob's along with Townsend's on the Humberstone Road. Leicester then was a completely different place to now with a thriving hosiery/knitwear industry not to mention engineering and the print trade.

Loads of working mens/conservative clubs many with fishing sections and the old power station warming the water in the canal Ivan Marks a national celeb in the match fishing world, Tommy Wadsworth and Tony used to host an early Sat morning radio slot on Radio Leicester called 'Fish an Tips' ! I always thought Tony would break into the national beeb scene as he has a light very easy way with his audience.

On to the fishing........in and around the city the canal was the place and the Soar was yet to produce the large chub/barbel it does now, the Wreake and upper Welland rewarded the specimen seeker with good fishing and the gravel workings were starting to produce good fishing. But in the 70's the Nene, drains and fens were the places the club coaches would head for and it was a common sight to see anglers waiting outside a pub or club for the coach.

An interesting place was Groby Pool, not sure what its like to fish now but It came under I believe the Ibstock club ticket, I only had small Perch but it was a lovely spot early on a warm morning before the dog walkers and duck feeders arrived !

Tight lines
Dave

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

You can't fish Groby Pool now Dave it's a nature reserve. There is a place called Old Hall Farm that is a stones throw away, it has three pools to fish and has been there for years, not sure if you remember that one Dave.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Nobby wrote:What an extraordinary coincidence......Wadworth is hardly a common name, but there's a Wadworth's Brewery in Devizes.......it's called the North Gate Brewery.....because it's in North Gate Street !!!!

http://www.wadworth.co.uk/contactus.html

Lovely old clip that, from a time when tackle shops smelled very different.
I can remember Evans tackle and feed shop in Debden Broadway.. it always smelt of rabbits and the oil they used on the landing and keepnets....... aaaaaahhhhhhh I can almost smell it now..... why can't all tackle shops smell of that oil instead of that horrible fruity/fishmealy/pellety whang.....??????

every time I walk into my local shop you get the smell of bait additives, hell it even masks the ammonia smell of the maggots.... :Hair out:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”