any information

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Gazelle

any information

Post by Gazelle »

Has anyone come across a tackle shop in the past called Morgans of Kingston bridge.
Any information would be very helpful,thanks

Bjp
Chub

Re: any information

Post by Bjp »

if it's the one i think it was it was on the hampton wick side of kingston bridge,
when i was a nipper at least 30 years ago, strange shop had a weird way of selling maggots but it can't remember what it was that was strange.

actually it was nearer 35years ago :cry:

regards

bjp

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

When I was a young piscator it was my local tackle shop.
Sadly I can't recall anything else about it!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gazelle

Post by Gazelle »

Many thanks for the info
Regards
Gazelle

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I remember as a child always wanting to stop and look in the chandlers shop just there.....it looked so exciting. Presumably the tackle shop was next door?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A regular visit in the late 50' & early 60's for maggots when fishing the Long Water or Rick Pond for me and my cycling colleagues. Me from Strawberry Hill & my 2 friends from Teddington & 1 from Fulwell. And later before the Power Station finally disappeared - Canbury Gardens.

I found Edgar Thurstons & Dave Stueart slightly later!

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Nobby wrote:I remember as a child always wanting to stop and look in the chandlers shop just there.....it looked so exciting. Presumably the tackle shop was next door?
i seem to remember the chandlers shop being on the opposite side of the road on the bend right at the bottom of the bridge, also i seem to remember a couple of years ago that the building that used to be the chandlers collapsed onto the road but i could be wrong

regards

bjp :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, so there were shops on the left as you went over the bridge towards Hampton then? I must confess I don't recall them at all. I too fished the Long Water and other Royal Parks in the late Fifties and Sixties. I don't recall catching a thing!

The late Bob Kirk had his shop nearby I now learn as well.

Chas
Ruffe

Post by Chas »

Greetings

I'm about two and a half years late on this one but....

I knew it well, I don't think it was actually called Morgan's of Kingston Bridge but "G Morgan" (or some initial) springs to mind. I originally come from Teddington and have fond memories of this shop. Coming across the bridge from Kingston, you could either go slightly to the left towards Hampton Court and eventually Hampton or turn right towards Teddington and Morgan's shop was a little way along on the left. Mr Morgan ran the shop with his wife, a dark haired lady if I remember. I also remember the chandlery opposite.

I visited this shop mostly in the early seventies when I was working on Saturdays and school holidays and could buy better fishing tackle. When working in Kingston, I walked home across the bridge, gloated in the shop window for a while then caught the bus to Teddington. I actually bought a Davenport and Fordham carp rod in kit form from there having been admiring a green D&F carp rod in the window for a long time.

There was also another tackle shop on the same side of the road but a bit further towards Teddington called (if I remember rightly) "Norris".

Before then, I bought my tackle from Ted Sharman in Teddington, originally in the High Street then he moved into the Model Shop. After about 1972, when I had a car, I tended to go to Hounslow Angling Centre. I also remember Edgar Thurston in East Twickenham.

I also remember the fishing venues mentioned especially the hot water outlet from Kingston power station at Canbury Gardens.

Cheers

Chas

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

And don't forget Percy chapmans of Twickenham, used to regularly get me maggots from there when I used to fish the tidal on the Twickenham embankment, a few times bumped into barmy Bill Rushmer :Cool:

Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”