McDonalds of South Harrow

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Haydn Clarke

Re: McDonalds of South Harrow

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Some my first stuff came from there late 70s early 80s. Think it was still going till the mid 80s, Hermes.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

hermes wrote: I think the shop closed down sometime if the 70's and don't know what it is now, I dread to think!
Taken from Google maps so a couple of years old

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

The shop was the building on the left of the picture which now look like new build masionettes or flats with extensions to the front . One of those rundown shops used to be dry cleaners and the solicitors was a sweetshop called the Candy Shop . Macdonalds itself had some really nice hedges which had fish cutout all along the top and an elderly chap who lived about 20 yards away used to cut them every few weeks . I lived about two minutes walk away if that ,but he was a miserable old scrote who didnt seem to like children too much so a bus ride to Youngs of Harrow was the norm . The shop sold to an Indian fella who ran it as a tackle shop and also a petshop . I think it lasted until the mid 90s until closing .
I may have relayed this story before but the last time I went there I can remember parking out the front to get some bait on my way for an afternoons fishing . I was just about to get out of the van when a toddler about 3 years old wondered out onto the main road right in front of me , how that child never got hit by a car on a normally busy road still leaves me cold . The Indian chap from the shop saw the child the same time as I did and he beat me to it as I wrestled in panic with the seatbelt .He scooped the kiddy up in his arms . Really frightening stuff . One distraught mother and two irate but relieved fellas handed the child back and then I was on my way . Nerver been back since!

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I remember him as a bit of miserable sod too, Paul. I got my first Mitchell, a 206, from him sometime around 1982. We soon moved on to other tackle shops like Judds and Harrefield as they were closer and better stocked.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Harefield tackle is a good shop well stocked and I imagine does well due to its location with Savays just down the road and so is the tiny Oxhey Angling if you can find a place to park!

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wow, such an old thread, but I had to post a comment (a bit long, sorry).

Great to see mcdonalds fishing tackle in the list, but yes, I lived about a mile down the road (near Roxeth Manor School, and I too recall the guy who ran the shop was not too friendly towards youngsters. Strangly though, I did enjoy going there (I think I picked up my copy of the Anglers Mail from them? Wasn't as much into the more popular Angling Times).

I went to the shop regularly to check out the rods and reels in the window, and of course to get bait and tackle for my Ruislip Lido fishing trips.

I remember how irate the owner got over an ET Barlow Vortex rod he had priced incorrectly.

I had just bought an 11' version from him as we were soon to go away on holiday to the coast, and I showed it to my dad at home, who then rushed up with me to get the other one they had before they closed.

I didn't realise at the time I bought mine, but it turned out the other one was a 12 footer (damit!), but priced the same, so my old man told the shop owner he would like the other rod (2 only, in the window) and handed him the money it was advertised at.

The guy said my dad hadn't given him enough money for it, so my dad took him out of the shop to show him the price in the window, and with that, the guy angrily said someone in the shop had made a mistake (probably him.. lol!) , but my dad said to him "thats the price on the ticket, so that is the price I am paying" (fair enough I say).

After a heated two and frowing, the shop owner eventually gave up and let my dad have it at the advertised price.

I must admit, I was even more wary of going in the shop after that little encounter.

Prior to that event I had bought an Intrepid black Prince, and then later an Intrepid New De Luxe and an ABU 7000 from mcdonalds.

Bit of a side story: Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I was desperate for money and had to sell the ABU, less than 6 months after I got it.
I stupidly went to Youngs of Harrow, where the guy offered me £15 max price. It was on my 16th birthday, and I asked him to give me a break on my birthday, but no (and yes, why should he), but after he handed me the cash, he snidely said, "No, it's my birthday!" (Hated Youngs forever after that comment).

Fond memories of mcdonalds fishing tackle, despite the grouchy owner.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

i was born in South Harrow - Eastcote rd 1947 . lived there until 1956 .the family had lived there since it was built in 1906. what a wonderful place it was then , and how sad to see what it has become . many hours were spent on my trike
in Roxeth Rec and watching the steam trains at the top of the park ' Weldon Park was my school and a very good one it was too.
i hadn't discovered fishing then but still found plenty of ways to keep amused .
a pal of mine has just bought a glorious Youngs float rod which i haven't yet got my hands on - but i will

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Seeing all these Harrovians here, I'm wondering whether, now Youngs has been mentioned, someone might be able to give an approximate date to a 10.5' three:piece blue fibreglass float rod with metal ferrules that I picked up a few months ago. It's an Otter although I gather that was a brand rather than a model. It's nice to use, with a good through action, and just suits the margin fishing that works well in the lakes I'm fishing.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"Otter" was Clive Young's brand - he of "Young's of Harrow".
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Now, does anyone remember if one Frank Pratt ran McDonalds, or was there yet another tackle-shop in Harrow? (Late nineteen-sixties, early seventies)?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”