The Monster Gudgeon of Baffins Pond

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
RobTheRake
Silver Bream

Re: The Monster Gudgeon of Baffins Pond

Post by RobTheRake »

If you'd like a serious chance at the gudgeon record, there's a little pond at Picton in North Yorkshire where mighty ones lurk. It's a place which a friend and I came upon quite by accident in the eighties, whilst looking for another pond nearby (which we never did find, that day).

I'm not sure if anyone's laid claim to the place, but it's one of those "boy's ponds" you come across here and there, which are considered too small and insignificant for serious fishing by proper men. Me, I've never fitted that category, so it was out of the car and out with the gear.

Ten minutes later we were plumbing up, and I swear the place seemed bottomless, almost as deep as it was long (that's a bit of an exaggeration as the pond itself is maybe twenty yards or so long, but I'm sure you know what I mean). We settled for a depth of around ten feet and began fishing, without having yet seen any signs of fish life.

Before long we were into fish - and what fish! - gudgeon that, in shape, were like those chubby little perch you catch one after the other, weighing 3 or 4 to the pound. We knew nothing then of record sizes, only that they dwarfed the ones we'd caught from various rivers and for their size they fought like the very devil!

I have never been back, but there have been times, such as now, when it seems like a fun idea to return and see if they still live there. Even allowing for boyish enthusiasm and exaggeration they can't have been less than four ounces, and may have been as big as six - I kid thee not.

Edit - It's still there, by the way. A quick search on google maps turned it up - if you're interested enough to look, it's close to the railway crossing.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

Sounds very tempting Rob! However, a little far for me..!

How go's the Gudgeon questing SK? :Cool:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Sounds delightful rob, if only it was a little closer!! :Cry:

Callum, at present the quest is on the backburner. But I think that, what with these early sunrises, I could manage a few hours before work. Will keep you posted as and when, but I think it'll not be too long a wait. :Wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”