Tom's River

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Tom's River

Post by Olly »

Exactly!

Not continually looking over your shoulder to see if your tackle is safe - no shouting across the 'pond' - no beer cans outside the bivvy - no staffs and other dogs wondering about - no trespassers (or very few) - being able to choose your swim without being crowded together!

All fishing to be enjoyed with the possibility of excellent fish to be caught - mostly in the company of other polite, knowledgeable and considerate anglers in peaceful surroundings! Almost heaven!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Mmmm....yea I know what yer saying here, it is the idiots that seem to spoil such waters, most of my fishing is done on me own apart from the occasional session with one or two freinds and the sought of waters I aim to fish you hardly see a soul which to be honest is how I like it :Cool:

I simply can't abide in having idiots around me eaither, I leave them to fish all of the commercials and ponds with there kilos of bait, newly bought carp gear and no idea :Hahaha: which is another reason why I very rarely fish Stillwater's :eyebrow:

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Do we get more finicky as we age?

I'm in a relatively cheap Wessex club but mostly only fish their ticket on a commercial water. The club proper waters seemed to have banks festooned in excrement and one had a mice plague.

It is worrying finding myself troubled by the syndicates I'm in.

The one by outside incursions that the "bailiffs" seem relaxed about, walkers, dog walkers, cyclists and most recently canoists.

The other by the arbitrary decision to remove carp stock from a lake where a couple or more mid-doubles in an afternoon is the norm, to introduce tench and crucians - no vote, no consultation, I suppose it's like it or lump it.

The four or five years in the posh game club set me back around £10000 or 120000 but I did it - fly fished Itchen, Test, Avon etc some good days, some big grayling on fly - but felt the need to move on, coud never see myself in pink or mustard coloured corduroys.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Tweed wrote:, coud never see myself in pink or mustard coloured corduroys.
Really sir? Oooh suit you sir!

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:
Tweed wrote:, coud never see myself in pink or mustard coloured corduroys.
Really sir? Oooh suit you sir!

:laugh: :laugh1:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I was paying £1,000.00 a year for coarse fishing on just one still water with a close season several years ago.

My Great Grandfather was the chief brewer at Shipstone's brewery for those who remember 'Shippo's' as we used to call it. A favourite story of my family that was often brought up when it was too late to worry about telling the same old stories was when my Great Grandfather was in his local and a mate of his asked...

"When are Shippo's going to stop putting the price of their ale up"?

To which my Great Grandfather replied...

"When you daft buggers stop paying for it".

I guess I was one of those daft buggers. :Hat:
Just spotted this Shaun, no comment on the £1,000 season ticket but when active in my trade union we used to meet at the Druids Arms in Loughborough each month, that was my first experience of 'shippos' and being given lifts I enjoyed far too much of it ! and also in numerous pubs in Nottingham, can't remember if they were taken over or simply closed ?
Tight lines Dave

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Rutland Rod wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:I was paying £1,000.00 a year for coarse fishing on just one still water with a close season several years ago.

My Great Grandfather was the chief brewer at Shipstone's brewery for those who remember 'Shippo's' as we used to call it. A favourite story of my family that was often brought up when it was too late to worry about telling the same old stories was when my Great Grandfather was in his local and a mate of his asked...

"When are Shippo's going to stop putting the price of their ale up"?

To which my Great Grandfather replied...

"When you daft buggers stop paying for it".

I guess I was one of those daft buggers. :Hat:
Just spotted this Shaun, no comment on the £1,000 season ticket but when active in my trade union we used to meet at the Druids Arms in Loughborough each month, that was my first experience of 'shippos' and being given lifts I enjoyed far too much of it ! and also in numerous pubs in Nottingham, can't remember if they were taken over or simply closed ?
Tight lines Dave
They are up and running again...

http://www.shipstones.com/

Return to “River Avon”