Hampshire Avon, fishing report.

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
JohnL

Hampshire Avon, fishing report.

Post by JohnL »

I fished The Avon at Upper Winkton yesterday, one of the few places accessible in the current flood conditions, although I have to admit my true reason being the reports of 2lb+ roach that have been caught there recently.
Anyway, after some searching around I found a shoal of dace and roach, which although did not go above 6oz gave good sport on light tackle ( Hardy Wallis Rod , Trudex Pin and crowquill avon) and I probably ended up with around 15lb of fish. Good sport on a beautiful but underfished stretch of river that's available on a cheap day ticket.
If folks are interested I'll continue river reports from this part of the country.
John.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hampshire Avon, fishing report.

Post by Mark »

That would be great John. :thumb:

Shall I set you up with your own journal section.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Mark wrote:That would be great John. :thumb:

Shall I set you up with your own journal section.
Thanks for the offer Mark but since it will probably be only an occasional entry I think it will be best for me to stick it under the relevant river.
John.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

No problem John.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I've never fished the Hampshire Avon, despite always wanting to. Would this be Christchurch Angling Club water, John? Their website makes mention of "guest tickets" but doesn't say how you obtain one (unless I've missed it). Are they available on the bank, or from tackle shops?

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

davyr wrote:I've never fished the Hampshire Avon, despite always wanting to. Would this be Christchurch Angling Club water, John? Their website makes mention of "guest tickets" but doesn't say how you obtain one (unless I've missed it). Are they available on the bank, or from tackle shops?
Yes it is Christchurch water. They do day tickets for this stretch available from tackle shops in Christchurch and Ringwood, I think it's £6.00 a day.
John.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Blimey, that sounds like good value - I may have to head down in that direction for a week next year!

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I'd positively embrace up-to-date lower Avon news Johnl. I had intended to fish the Royalty last week but went down with the dreaded manflu. Not so long ago there were weekly fishing reports posted on the Royalty and Winkton website but for some reason these no longer appear. Give me a shout if you catch a two pound roach- I'm still after my first after 50 years of trying.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

If you are after the roach, I'd suggest Britford which is near Salisbury. It regularly produces 2's

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Wallis Master wrote:If you are after the roach, I'd suggest Britford which is near Salisbury. It regularly produces 2's
How much is a ticket there now?

Return to “River Avon”