Stourport and Bewdley

This forum belongs to the River Severn.
Rutilus.Bobicus

Stourport and Bewdley

Post by Rutilus.Bobicus »

Being a former resident of Stourport I thought I'd drop a few tips on the area.
Above the town bridge there are a few pegs off BAA water (Birmingham Angling Assoc.) which continues below the bridge, upstream of that, is the Lyttllton AA water which is where a few matches are held but if you can get on there, it's worth exploring.

The stick float is a reliable method, fished with bronze maggots (sprinkled with tumeric) but if there's a bit of extra water and some colour in the water, the swim feeder again with bronze maggots is a good method. I've had good roach on the feeder on the Lyttleton stretch (5 between 1- 1 1/2lbs in one session). There's also plenty of swims down the side in the eddy's that go under overhanging trees for an attempt at chub and perch on big worms and cheese paste or bread flake with a light ledger set up. There's also good fishing below Stourport on the Larford stretch (ran by the people who run Larford Lake). You can wade out a few rod lengths here to fish a waggler across to the deeper water or fish the feeder.

There's also a good little spot below The Angel Hotel where the River Stour flows into the Severn. I've seen some big chub laid up there in the warmer weather and it might be worth a light ledger set up with bread flake, big worm or luncheon meat.

If you want barbel, there are some to be found in Stourport, but your best bet is the stretch below Bewdley Town bridge. There's some lovely swallow runs where you can wade out and cast to the far bank. Not sure who runs this stretch but the local tackle shop will tell you. Fish a maggot feeder with white maggot and hemp and meat on the hook. You may have a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it as history tells of barbel well into double figures from this stretch.

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Stourport and Bewdley

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Is it still decent fishing round there then? That's good. I remember reading back in the 1980's of the match exploits by the likes of Paul Wade, Ron Lees and David Hall which often took place around there. Lots of good chub and barbel - and almost always on the float and bronze maggot - though Ron was also famous for his legering of luncheon meat - on 3lb line! Now it's all pellets and powerful tackle - and it's not always possible to get bronze maggots these days. When I worked in a tackle shop we sold more bronze than all the others put together; reds were only ever bought by kids as part of a 'alf 'o' mixed please mate'. These days they're the biggest seller.

Where did we go wrong?

Rutilus.Bobicus

Have to admit, I haven't fished the Severn for a few years. I don't what the fishing is like nowadays, I was writing on what used to work for me back in the late 1990's and early 00's.

In those days I could catch perch to 2lbs and chub to 3lb on the stick float (with 2.1lb line on the reel and size 20 hook to 1lb hook length) and roach to 1 1/2lbs on the maggot feeder (4lb line on the reel and size 18 hook to 1 1/2lb hook length).

Having not fished the waters there for a few years, I don't know what works these days, but I'm sure a 'top and bottom' float in skilful hands would still catch plenty of fish. I did read that some people had started using 'long pole' tactics but it's something I never wanted to try myself.

Rutilus.Bobicus

After a bit of research, I found this. It's the 2011 'Creel Census'.
The results are based on angler surveys carried out between June and December 2010.
Severn Rivers Trust 2011 'Creel Census'
It's a bit general, but it might give some idea.

Rutilus.Bobicus

Current river levels on the River Severn, Middle reaches.

Middle Severn Buildwas

Middle Severn Bridgnorth

Middle Severn Dowels Brook at Oak Cottage

Middle Severn Bewdley

Middle Severn Barbourne

Middle Severn Diglis

Return to “River Severn”