River Severn Red Lion near Gloucester

This forum belongs to the River Severn.
ExeAngler
Chub

River Severn Red Lion near Gloucester

Post by ExeAngler »

Anyone every fished the Red Lion stretch of the Severn near Gloucester? It was featured in the Matt Hayes series "Main line". Any info would be most welcome.

MGs
Pike

Re: River Severn Red Lion near Gloucester

Post by MGs »

I used to live not far from there. The pub sells day tickets. The river there is tidal. The bank is quite high and below it is quite muddy, so a bit of care is needed to get to where Matt was fishing. Most of the fish are relatively small. In my opinion, you are better off going upstream slightly. The river near Tewkesbury isn't bad. A little further still is Ripple. There is a free stretch and a section controlled by Birminham Anglers. I used to fish the free section pretty regularly. Bags of bream, with fish of 5-6lb taken on feeder. Not to mention a reasonable number of chub around 4lb and the occasional barbel to 10lb.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: River Severn Red Lion near Gloucester

Post by Tengisgol »

My wife's family are just downstream at Maisemore and I am very interested to see if anyone can add to this thread. The river and pool just above / below the weir at Maisemore look very interesting but I have just never quite got around to trying it.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Severn”