PeteD
Rudd

Shad in The Severn

Post by PeteD »

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Shad in The Severn

Post by Marc »

20 million isn't to be sniffed at. I watched a programme with John Bailey years ago where he caught a shad, I didn't realise they grew as big as the one in the article.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The picture in the article is probably of an allis shad which can reach 5-6lbs. There have been no records of them spawning in the Wye for many years but rumours of the occasional catches of large shad filter through.

The numbers of Twaite shad are dropping from the days when the ran black with them. However, I have yet to find anybody living that can recall this spectacle. Nowadays an obscure piece of legislation is being used to stop us angling for them but I believe that the more people that know about them and catch the odd one or two, will be far more involved in their preservation.

To recover the Severn spawning numbers would be wonderful but since the Wye has been 'improved' by the Wye and Usk to encourage the salmon numbers, there would appear to have been no improvement in shad numbers....... or the salmon. Environmental projects are always a gamble but the fact that this investment has been promised is definitely a step in the right direction.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

i caught a few from the usk one day back in the early 90's on wet fly whilst fishing for trout on the town stretch. one minute it was dead the next alive with fish.

regards

bjp :Hat:

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

im afraid it looks its going to be a disaster for course fishing on the river teme as the are proposing to remove powick weir which would lower the level of the river and cause bank erosion there is a Facebook page on the net save powick weir which anyone who fish this lovely river should have look at i fear the they are chasing european money at the detremont of angling

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A weir on the R. Loddon was reduced - almost removed completely - which has proved very beneficial for both spawning and fish movement - coarse fish!

Re Powick Weir - The money is apparently coming from the EU? Where it is illegal in many regions to fish for Shad it seems.
Last edited by Olly on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I remember reading in the late 70's Chris Binyon's shad fishing adventures on the Severn with his band of merry men. All sorts of Chris Binyon type antics going on. Sadly one of his friends lost their life (drowned) during a boat antic. it seems they moved in and camped for several weeks living off whatever they could poach, scrump or steal whilst the shad were there.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I remember reading in the late 70's Chris Binyon's shad fishing adventures on the Severn with his band of merry men. All sorts of Chris Binyon type antics going on. Sadly one of his friends lost their life (drowned) during a boat antic. it seems they moved in and camped for several weeks living off whatever they could poach, scrump or steal whilst the shad were there.
If memory serves, he also set out to prove that he could catch a sea lamprey on rod and line. Quite impossible under normal circumstances but Binyon was far from 'normal'. He found a spot where the would rest on a vertical piece of concrete at a weir. There he placed his bare hook against the side until one hapless fish stuck to the wall - and his hook and .......

I think a book of his antics would make great reading.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I recently sat down and read the whole series of 'Shining Times'. It took me more than one evening.

The 'Hat' is still alive and kicking but sadly Chris passed on.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “River Severn”