Hampton Loade

This forum belongs to the River Severn.
AndyD
Minnow

Re: Hampton Loade

Post by AndyD »

Oh yes Tengisgol, there is a very good chance of that. I've seen a few magic 2's with my own eyes, and heard of some true monsters.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Ooh that sounds interesting!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

AndyD wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:44 am Can I put a different slant on this thread? Wagtails comments really don't tally at all with my experiences.

Firstly regarding the clock, I know quite a bit about it as I made it! (well the housing anyway). It was put there as we (KFAC) were having a lot of problems with day ticket anglers fishing into the night, and when being asked to leave replying "I didn't know what time I had to be off mate". The clock hasn't changed any times that anglers should be leaving by, but is there to avoid any confusion. This is the first season it has been in use (it was only installed in late Jan 2017) and it's gone well. The time on the clock is the time you need to be "off the water" by not what time you have to be back to your car by, so as long you've stopped fishing by then and are on your way back that's fine. It has always been set to pretty much dusk or even a little later, and if you'd have gone beyond that time you'd have need a torch, you could easily fish the "magic hour".

I don't know who the 'new bailiff" who "delights in banning people" is. I've been fishing there for years and I fish it pretty much weekly. There hasn't been a new bailiff for at least the last 5 years, and the bailiffs are in fact very helpful, and will often give advice of recent catches/where to fish/depths etc if you're not familiar with the water. They will however take action against people not behaving themselves, as all bailiffs should. Tickets are £6/day on the bank.

The main reason for it being a bit busier isn't publicity, but the fact that the BAA no longer offer day tickets. As such day ticket water on the mid-Severn is harder to find. That said, it is still quite easy to find yourself a quiet spot mid week especially in autumn, watching the world and the steam trains go by. It's been fishing well this year with plenty good barbel, big roach, good chub being caught during daylight hours. As with all rivers it's not an easy water, but good angling will catch. Give it a go. If you are in the area Gawanabana, drop me a pm, I'd be happy to meet you on the bank of a summer evening and show you around.
Andy I've not been on the forum for a while and didn't see your reply until this evening.

I have been back to Hampton a few times since my post and have found that the clock is now being set at a more realistic time. The 'new bailiff' information was based upon what I was told by a couple of locals (whom I know having fished there for a few years) and was therefore taken in good faith and passed on in the same manner. I don't understand why they told me this if it wasn't true. Certainly the other bailiffs (Keenan and John) are more than helpful and perhaps I should have asked them for clarification about the clock timing. I only wish I'd seen your post earlier as it seems I've been packing away too early!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AndyD
Minnow

Post by AndyD »

Hi Wagtail. Thanks for the reply. It did read at though you yourself had been having problems with the bailiffs yourself, rather than it just being hearsay. To my knowledge the only two bailiffs on the stretch are the ones you mention and sometimes Mrs K (the guy from the B&B by the car park might also fill in now and again - but he is a really nice bloke and a cracking barbel angler). All KFAC bailiffs should carry a card with then, so if you do have any hassle from a bailiff that you think is out of order, could I ask that you try to get a name and report it to KFAC either via a message to me on here, or via our website. If the guys you heard from know who it was they had a problem with, again please ask them to let me know and I'll ask the committee to look into it.

However, it's good you've got back down to Hampton Loade this year. Hopefully you managed to bend a rod a few times. If you fish it right there are cracking fish in there. If you ever fancy a summer's evening there next year let me know.

Bleak
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

It's a lovely spot.
With a couple of breakfast venues not too
far away.

Bleak
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

On my way to Kidderminster today, I called
at Seven Valley Park. Very close to Hampton
Loade, also BAA water. Talking to a local
angler who informed me that he doesn't
have problems with getting on a peg.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I fished Hampton Loade this summer and found the Bailiff very helpful, but he did come across as someone who wouldn't take any messing about or rule breaking, if only there were more like him. I can't remember his name but he lived on the mobile home park at the back end of the hamlet, it's that small a place the word village doesn't seem appropriate. The knivers club has the first three fields downstream from the car park, so there shouldn't be a shortage of pegs on any given day. As I have posted elsewhere on TFF, I lost a couple of fish, one having totally emptied my reel of line. And yes, I am still not over this incident....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “River Severn”