The Trent Otter (2)

This forum belongs to J. W. Martin.
JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: The Trent Otter

Post by JerryC »

Surely they should have one on the Thames, after all he did spend most of his time there................ :Wink:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Superb Sean......and a lovely barbel. :Thumb:

We have a sign like that on the moat.

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Kingfisher wrote:What's the reason for the plaque being put there Sean? I mean was it to commemorate something?
may I quote from the Trent Otter's book:

Float Fishing and Spining in the Nottingham Style, 2. ed, 1885, page 149
http://archive.org/details/floatfishingspin00martrich

"Charlie Hudson, who lives somewhere against Dunham
Bridge, within easy distance of one of the deepest, if not the
deepest, bream swims on the Trent, viz., the celebrated Dunham
Dubs, is about as good a bream fisher as any I know.
He often pilots gentlemen to that hole, and assists them in
landing some "pluggers," as he calls them. He makes it his
especial business to keep that hole well baited during the
autumn ; and for this purpose I know he often uses whole
bucketsful of worms. If any strange angler was to see
Charlie's landing-net for the first time, he would probably
think that there were some rare-sized fish when that thing
was wanted, for the hoop of it was at one time round a fairsized
barrel, only he had cut it and bent the two ends down
a bit, and then nailed it fast on a twelve-foot clothes-prop,
and the net itself looked as though it had some time or other
been part of an old strong eel net. I shall have to go down
and see Charlie before long, as it is now a long time since I
saw him, or heard anything about him and his exploits among
the bream."

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

SeanM wrote:It might look nice Nobby, but it's BIG and it's got forward and reverse gears!
I do like that one SeanM :Thumb: Spent most of my time this season on the Trent and have always lived close to it but still it beats you up. Been quite fortunate with a growing list of doubles this year but that isn't really what it's all about to me. I am loving still fishing swims that haven't been fished yet this season or possibly last season either.

Thanks for sharing the picture, I must go and take a look one day.

Flightliner

Re: The Trent Otter (2)

Post by Flightliner »

If you go up to the Dubbs at Dunham now to see the plaque it was given some remedial treatment two days ago where the overgrowing wood was cut back in order that it could be viewed as intended.It may be that in the future others may care to see that it isnt allowed to be completely overgrown and lost forever as its a legacy that we anglers have precious little in such tangible form to remind us of those who walked before us.
The club sign mentioned was found some distance from the tree somewhat damaged but that also was replaced more securely.
The river looked superb with the odd good fish showing, nice also to lean back on the tree and soak in the scenery and reflect.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

J w martin was a angler in the early 1900's i believe and he had to connections to newark on trent were i think he was in partnership with slaters the rod makers whos premises were a few streets away from me
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

A columnist writing in The Sportsman by the name of J. P Wheeldon was a big Slater's fan (7/3/1888)
Under the heading Winter Chub Fishing.
I quote in part.

"It is from no desire to puff a particular maker when I speak very highly indeed of Slater's centrepin reel, manufactured at Newark upon Trent. Williams of Long Acre, Carter of Islington, or a dozen other firms doubtless make reels of exceeding excellence, and I only select the Trent man's name because, to give him is proper modicum of praise, I think no one makes anything better.
The action of this reel is as true as a bit of the most exquisitely perfected machinery.
There is not the smallest atom of friction between the revolving disc and the outer edge, such as used to make the operations of sandpapering and black leading, and that only a few years ago, desirable adjuncts to a days fishing."

I have my suspicions about sponsorship here. And black leading? Who knows?

All the best.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Willsmodger wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 pmAnd black leading? Who knows?
'Blackleading' was and still is a process used to provide a waterproof coating to iron stoves and fireplaces.

Blacklead is another name for graphite, which can be mixed with white spirit to form a paste which, when applied to surfaces, dries to leave a thin layer which can be polished to a smooth, thin finish which reduces friction.

I assume some anglers, when they found that they had wooden reels on which the rim of the spool 'caught' on the back, sanded the surfaces and, rather than apply a varnish to waterproof which could be a thick layer, applied Blacklead instead.

The National Trust still make use of Blacklead to protect fireplaces in their care ... such as is detailed here :-

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/nymans ... ireplaces-
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Zebrite is what we used on our cast iron multi fuel stove it used to be called Zebra grate polish if I am not mistaken. We used to put the paste on with a rag and buff it up with a little shoe type brush.

Return to “J. W. Martin”