Lost In A Quiet World by Paul Cook - Book Review

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Lost In A Quiet World by Paul Cook - Book Review

Post by Mark »

Lost In A Quiet World by Paul Cook

My first impression is of a very high quality made book, complete with highly detailed illustrations by the author on all of the 180 pages. There are two editions of the book available, the leather edition which is limited to just 50 signed copies and the cloth edition which is limited to 1000 signed copies.

The book is available from ‘Harper Fine Angling Books’ at the following web address http://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk

After the introduction the book starts with a beautiful descriptive prologue, of which I can’t think of anything better to start this review other than giving you a little snippet to read.

“With trembling hands the boy tears a piece of crust from a loaf of bread and pushes a hook between the soft folds of dough. Before casting out, however, he studies the scene again to make sure they have not moved. He is not disappointed. Slowly, gently he lobs the baited hook a short distance from the basking carp, to land on the pool with a muted plop, and with baited breath he settles himself to await events.”

The book is a personal journey of the author as a child and his fishing adventures. From the local canals and rivers to the beautiful old estate lake called ‘Old School’ which he is allowed to fish whenever his farther was called upon to work on the estate. He is given an old green heart spinning rod by 96 year old Mr. Simmonds and is helped in his early fishing days by Sonny the estate bailiff of which a long lasting friendship evolves. The writing style of the author is straightforward and truthful with a distinct feel that brings back similar memories of my childhood fishing days.

This is not a book about the conquest of huge fish although I get the feeling they would not have been overlooked if the chance had come along. It is a book about one child’s enthusiasm that he clearly loves, an all embracing passion for angling. As you will have gathered this isn’t a ‘how to’ book (there are plenty of those on the market) but instead a collection of true tales about fishing that the author has experienced. You can feel his real love for and fascination with water and its inhabitants; through the failures and successes it is a pleasure to read.

With Christmas on its way this book would make the perfect gift, I can personally recommend it. So if you have a fishing father, son or friend etc why not treat them to a copy of this book. If the wife/partner or children are struggling to think what to get you this year I would print off the relevant pages from Paul Cook’s website http://www.artofangling.net and leave them partly secreted in certain rooms in your house. You never know what you might receive.

Last edited by Mark on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Lost In A Quiet World by Paul Cook - Book Review

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

This Christmas list of mine is getting bigger everyday, but I must admit, this looks a delightful book and is set firmly at the top of my list!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

This book is worth pushing to the top of the list SK, it really is worthy to be in anyone’s collection.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Yep. Another one for the christmas list. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

this book is a great read I bought the hardback and read it and really loved it so I splashed out for the deluxe edition as I wanted it to keep as it was a real special book sk snape you don't know what your missing out on with this book it is a great story

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

Just in case father Christmas missed you last year as well Snape :Wink:

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

misty reminders of childhood that's what makes us older chaps pick up the cane and attempt to catch our dreams again an absolute must read ... Hard to put down the book ends to quickly . I pestered Paul recently and asked when vol2 will be published .. On it's way !! Can't wait ..if your lucky with age comes peace and tranquility and nothing beats that float sliding away !!!

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I look forward to part two I hope he publishes with harper fine angling again as they did a great job of it

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

This was my favourite book of last year..... One for the children to read as an inspiration to get them out fishing and to encourage them to look beyond the fishing per se and to discover why their Dad loves being at the waterside..... A lovely read and a beautifully produced book.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

I got copies for my 7 year old grandson and 10 year old granddaughter, a great read that I couldn't put down, Well done Paul

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”